RecSports offers free fitness classes

With a determined look on her face, junior Eileen Quandt thrust her leg in the middle of a Turbo Kick class hosted in Rockne Memorial Gym on Wednesday afternoon.

Quandt and the other members of the class not only got a good workout, but also burned their calories for free.

The Turbo Kick class was part of the "Try It, You'll Like It" promotion RecSports is offering this week, which allows students to try all campus exercise classes free of charge, Kristen Malmstrom, RecSports fitness coordinator, said.

"The free classes allow participants to try different class formats and instructors before making a commitment. They may also find one facility or a time more convenient," Malmstrom said.

Quandt said the trial week is useful for students looking for a RecSports class to take during the semester.

"The free trial sessions are really helpful," she said. "I probably wouldn't make the commitment without trying the class first."

During the regular year, students and faculty can participate in RecSports classes for a small fee.

Junior Emily De Araujo took two classes last year, Crunch Time and Zumba, and plans to sign up for the Turbo Kick class this fall.

"I always do the trial sessions before signing up for the class," she said. "Otherwise, if I end up not liking the class, it's a waste of money."

Malmstrom said some of the most popular classes in recent years include Zumba, Yoga, Pilates and Cardio Box.

RecSports will also introduce a number of new classes this year, including Power Strength, Turbo Kick and SatAWAY, a class that takes place on away-game Saturdays and involves a number of upbeat activities.

"The schedule [for SatAWAY] includes Outdoor Yoga, Outdoor Bootcamp, Hula Hooping and Piloxing," Malmstrom said. 

In addition, RecSports will offer several new yoga classes this fall, including Yoga Basic and Yoga Challenge.

"The Yoga Challenge is geared toward individuals who have previous experience in yoga. Another new, unique class is Prayerful Postures Yoga on Sundays," Malmstrom said.

Even though the "Try It, You'll Like It" classes are free, the number of participants in the cost-free week is typically lower than the number of people who sign up for the actual classes, Malmstrom said.

"In the '10-'11 year, we had 2,200 people participate in the free classes and over 6,300 registered for the regular fitness schedule," she said.

Junior Aurora Kareh said that of the people who do sign up for the classes, she has noticed girls make up the majority.

"There are never guys in the fitness classes," she said. "If guys are looking to meet some girls, fitness classes are a great way to do it."

Class schedules, descriptions and registration information can be found on the RecSports website at recsports.nd.edu, Malmstrom said.