Saint Mary's offers Zumba instruction

When Jennifer Roberts began working at Saint Mary's, she wanted to take Zumba classes at the College, but none were available. Now, Roberts, assistant director for external events in the Office of Special Events, will offer Zumba classes to the Saint Mary's community to fill the gap.

"Zumba is a Latin-inspired fitness program that uses four basic Latin rhythms mixed with fun, high-energy music," Roberts said. "Dancing for an hour, rather than running for an hour, makes you feel like you are having fun rather than actually working out."

After being certified in Zumba instruction, Roberts will teach the class in hopes of providing a different form of exercise compared to the conventional fitness classes held at Saint Mary's.

She invited students, faculty and community members to "ditch the workout and join the party" in her class.

Roberts said those unfamiliar with Zumba should not be hesitant to try it.

"I want people to know that Zumba really is for anyone, even those intimidated by having minimal dance skills," Roberts said. "Zumba is easy enough for everyone to follow."

While Roberts hopes to offer her students an entertaining exercise option, she said she is equally excited to be instructing the class.

"I just wanted to offer other opportunities for Saint Mary's as far as working out goes," she said. "I am excited to see how the classes work out."

The classes are informal and do not require registration. Roberts said she hopes participation will be high enough to warrant Zumba's addition to the regular schedule of athletic classes.

Until then, Roberts is renting the space herself, which is why there is a small fee for participation. The class will cost $5 for students, $6 for faculty and $7 for the general public.

Some students have already expressed interest in joining the class. Junior Cailin Crowe said she is eager to integrate Zumba into her workout routine.

"I am excited to see what these classes have to offer," she said. "I enjoy working out on a regular basis and it will be nice to shake my routine up a bit by adding Zumba classes to my schedule.

"I'm looking forward to getting my groove on," Crowe said.

Classes will take place Mondays from 6 to 7 p.m. in the Angela Athletic facility.