Senior designs fitness program for students

Notre Dame senior Andrew Lamb's new fitness training program is designed to accommodate even the most hectic college student's schedule.

Lamb's program, called souNDfit, is set to begin this week.

"My program can be individually constructed to accommodate any Notre Dame student's needs," he said.

Lamb's two baseline programs, one for males and one for females, can be tailored to fit the specific goals of any student, he said. Lamb said each program is a combination of do-it-yourself and personal training.

"The programs are comprised of individually crafted workouts that draw from multiple schools of fitness, including weight training, CrossFit, circuit training, cardiovascular fitness and core stabilization," he said.

Lamb said that when designing his programs, he considered the differences between the ways men and women work out. The male program features cardiovascular intensive workouts combined with strength training, while the female program emphasizes resistance training.

"I was training some female friends over the summer. They really wanted to avoid building bulk," Lamb said. "They were great in providing encouragement and helping me fine-tune the program."

Lamb has nine years of athletic experience to draw from, ranging from state-championship baseball to Notre Dame interhall sports to Late-Night Olympics, he said.

Lamb said that the program's flexibility allows students to begin training at any time, regardless of previous training experience.

Ten students are currently signed up for souNDfit.

"I'm hoping to get up to 20 by the end of the semester," he said. "That's how many people I can handle training on my own."

The baseline program costs $35 per semester and $10 per month. Personal training sessions with Lamb cost $5 for one half hour and $10 for an hour.

"It's cheap compared to a gym membership, which usually runs $40 per month," Lamb said. "With personal trainers, they alone can cost $30 an hour at least."

Members can save money with the "Refer-a-Friend" discount as well. Each time a friend of a member signs up for souNDfit, that member receives a five-dollar discount subtracted from his or her baseline fees and any personal training with Lamb.

Lamb said he hopes students respond well to souNDfit's low cost, easy accessibility and flexibility.

"People can do it on their own if they want, though they can get an easy hold of me. I'm kind of filling the role of a coach," he said. "It helps in that they can involve me as much or as little as they want in their program."

Lamb said depending on how many students sign up, senior Ryan Quillard might join soundFit later in the semester as an overflow trainer.

While Lamb said he is unsure whether he will pursue a career in fitness after graduation, he is excited to launch the program at Notre Dame and plans to design special winter and spring break programs as well.

"I'm really excited," he said. "Fitness is something I love and it's a great stress manager. For now I'm happy to share the knowledge because it's something I've wanted to do for a while."

Students interested in learning more about the program can visit souNDfit's page on Facebook or contact Andrew Lamb at 937-751-3162.