SGA plans key goals for campus

Kristen Rice | Thursday, August 25, 2011

Saint Mary’s student body president Nicole Gans and vice president Jackie Zupanic outlined a plan for their administration to be the “backbone” for student life and campus activities this year.

“Our goals for this year include partnering with more offices and departments to integrate activities on campus, creating better spaces for students to relax and study, and strengthening established clubs and organizations on campus by providing support both financially and structurally,” Gans said.

Zupanic said the team worked over the summer to plan a retreat for their new board. During the Student Government Association (SGA) retreat, she said the board members met with department heads and administrators to talk about their goals for the year.

The women will meet with all of their board members individually during the first weeks of class, Gans said.

“These positions will help us not only develop into good leaders, but also great listeners,” Gans said. “We hope we learn how to be ambassadors to our school inside and outside of the office. Being approachable and open-minded will aid in the continued success of Saint Mary’s student government.”

Gans said their team is “passionate” and “serious” about improving student life at Saint Mary’s.

One of their accomplishments at the end of the spring semester was the addition of a printer in one of the campus residence halls. The team will continue to work on their other platform initiatives this semester, and Gans said she would like more students to participate in student government to hear more of their ideas.

“Since all of our meetings are open to campus, we hope to see a higher attendance throughout the year,” Gans said.

Social media and improved communication will also be a part of the Gans-Zupanic administration.

“Also, we plan to have open forums and communication by email, Facebook, Twitter and our website.”

Gans said she and her vice president are excited to work with the other members of SGA, in addition to the finer perks of the job.

“[We get] free t-shirts and our own desks,” she said.