SMC selected as 'Best in the Midwest'

The Princeton Review once again named Saint Mary's College among the "Best in the Midwest," a list of top colleges in the area published over the summer.

"To be recognized for what we do best — educating women, in a rigorous academic environment, to make a difference in the world — is meaningful to the College," Mona Bowe, vice president for enrollment management, said.

The recognition is an honor the College has been awarded every year since the list's inception nine years ago.

Saint Mary's was one of 153 schools on the "Best in the Midwest" list, which was published in August. The Midwest region represents 12 states, and the Princeton Review also lists schools from the Northeast, West and Southeast.

"We are very pleased to once again be included among the Princeton Review's ‘Best in the Midwest,'" Carol Ann Mooney, president of Saint Mary's College, said. "Our commitment to an excellent intellectual and academic experience for our students is unwavering. Our graduates are our best recruiters. Their accomplishments speak volumes about the quality of the educational experience they received here."

The College has stayed on the list because it has held to the mission set forth at the school's founding by the Sisters of the Holy Cross in 1844, Bowe said.

"This is an academic community where women develop their talents and prepare to make a difference in the world," Bowe said. "Saint Mary's College promotes a life of intellectual vigor, aesthetic appreciation, religious sensibility and social responsibility."

Bowe said the College is always glad to be included on lists such as "Best in the Midwest," but in this electronic era, The Princeton Review is not the only place prospective students and their parents look when considering higher education.

"At one point in time, there were only a handful of reviewers and their reviews carried a lot of weight," she said.  "Now, there are college search engines like Zinch and Cappex that aid students in their quest."

Although the Princeton Review is one of many sources that create college and university lists and ratings, it is still a recognition that the College, its students, faculty and alumnae are proud of, she said.

"I think the designation is affirmation to students that they are at an academic excellent school," Bowe said.  "It's a source of pride for all of us."