The pineapple bandwagon

Brett Straka | Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I would just like to thank Ms. O’Donnell for her article regarding the TV show Psych (“Pineapples,” Aug. 30). They must have hired someone clever at USA because in the past decade or so, the network has churned out a handful of extremely entertaining shows, Psych being my personal favorite. In a world where prime time T.V. is dominated by countless crime dramas that take themselves just a little too seriously (and one conspicuous imitation cough-TheMentalist-cough), Psych serves as a welcoming breath of pineapple-scented fresh air. The unorthodox antics of faux psychic Mr. Spencer combined with the delightfully uptight nature of Mr. Burton always keep me chuckling.

And then there’s the witty banter. Oh, the witty banter. Laced with references ranging from 80’s music and cancelled sitcoms to B-list celebrities and the Pittsburgh Steelers, Shawn and Gus certainly keep the dialogue colorful. To get my girlfriend interested in the show, I pointed out that the interaction between Shawn and Gus has the same quick pace and back-and-forth sass demonstrated by the characters on one of her favorite shows, Gilmore Girls. She’s also now hooked on the show and we are both eagerly anticipating the return on Oct. 12. On that evening, I will grab my official pineapple pillow and enjoy the show as my Shawn and Gus bobbleheads look on approvingly. Oct. 12 at 10 p.m., channel 51 on ND cable.

Brett Straka

Siegfried Hall

Aug. 30