Belles hope to rebound against Alma

After suffering their first loss of the season, the Belles are eager to restart their winning streak with a victory over MIAA defending champions Alma.

Saint Mary's (5-1, 1-1 MIAA) fell to Adrian, who defeated the Belles 4-1 Saturday. That loss ended the Belles' five-game winning streak.

"We're down a little from the loss," Joyce said. "Not simply from losing the game, but we didn't play as well as we could have, which is frustrating."

Though their energy is down from the tough loss to Adrian (4-3, 2-1), Joyce said that he believes the Belles can regain their energy for the game against Alma (6-1, 2-1).

"A lot will depend on the first 15 to 20 minutes," Joyce said. "If we can start strong and prove to ourselves we can play with

Alma, it will build our confidence and we should be good for the rest of the game."

Joyce will rely on senior defender Keely Noonan to keep her backfield strong against Alma's offensive prowess. Freshman

Chanler Rosenbaum, who has been nearly unstoppable in goal, is searching for another win in her collegiate career. Before the Adrian game, Rosenbaum had only allowed one goa.

Also key for the Belles has been a strong showing from junior midfielder Maddie Meckes, who has performed well every game this season. Sophomore forward Jordan Diffenderfer and senior forward Katelyn Tondo-Steele have also been key players for the Belles.

Joyce hopes their success will continue throughout conference play.

The Belles look to regain their winning ways against Alma on Thursday at 5 p.m. at their home fields.

Contact Katie Heit at

kheit@nd.edu