-

-

Brian Regan Returns to the Bend All By Himself

Kevin Noonan | Thursday, September 22, 2011

Stand-up comedian Brian Regan will make his return to South Bend on Sept. 29. Regan released his latest album “All By Myself” in December, and promises some excitement on this new tour.

“There’s going to be a lot of music and fireworks and comedy,” Regan said. “One out of those three is true … I’m selling my snake oil from town to town and hopefully people will come out.”

Regan has been to South Bend before and speaks highly of the city and college community.

“I love South Bend,” he said. “I’ve performed there before and I went to college in the Midwest, I have buddies who went [to Notre Dame]. I’m a big fan of the school, and I’m looking forward to coming back to town.”

Regan has been performing stand-up for more than three decades. He dropped out of Heidelberg College in Ohio, where he played wide receiver on the football team, during his last semester to pursue a career in comedy.

He says he found his calling through a path that some Notre Dame students may be able to identify with; he quickly discovered in college that he didn’t like accounting.

“I was in college, thinking I was going to be an accountant,” he says. “After about three weeks of accounting classes, I realized that I didn’t have enough mathematical skill to make it as an accountant.”

“One of my first classes in my new major was speech, and I used to make my speeches funny so that I wouldn’t drive myself crazy. And I remember thinking that was a pretty cool feeling, making the class laugh,” Regan says.

Regan went on to become one of the more successful stand-up comedians performing today. He has had two of his own Comedy Central specials, and has released two albums and three DVDs to date.

More impressively, he holds the unique distinction of being able to sell out theaters across the nation as well as producing albums and DVDs that sell among the top of their competition, but has never had his own television show or had a feature role in any major films.

“I like flying under the radar. I have a following out there that knows me as a comedian,” Regain said. “I know they have to know me as a comedian, because there’s no other way they could possibly know me.”

Regan has maintained a style throughout his career that is generally described as clean and family friendly. This is different from many top line comedians, who tend to keep the bleep button industry in business.

“It’s just the way I think comedically,” Regan says. “It has nothing to do with being Johnny Wholesome. I just like the comedic challenge of seeing how I can get people laughing without hitting certain words. It’s like a medium, some photographers like to work in color and some like to work in black-and-white. I guess I’m just a black-and-white kind of guy.”

Regan will perform at the Morris Performing Arts Center at 7:30 p.m. on Sept. 29.