Campus Life Council sets University policy

Although the Campus Life Council (CLC) has yet to meet this academic year, student body president Pat McCormick said the group would be instrumental in the student union once its biweekly meetings begin.

"[Campus Life Council] is the body that has the single greatest influence on University policy, so I'm very excited to get started," McCormick said. "It directly incorporates student advocacy into University policy."

McCormick said CLC has not met this year because the group has not received rector recommendations yet from Vice President for Student Affairs Fr. Tom Doyle.

"I am not able to appoint rectors or students affairs representatives," McCormick said. "Without those individuals, the purpose of CLC isn't able to be fulfilled."

McCormick said he hopes that student government will receive the rector recommendations soon.

"We have made multiple requests for nominations and look forward to receiving them so that we can begin the work of the CLC," he said.

The CLC also includes student representatives from the Senate, Hall President's Council (HPC), the Judicial Council and the Coalition Council. The council is intended to provide a forum where students, faculty and administrative personnel can discuss matters impacting student affairs, according to the bylaws.

"The CLC makes policy suggestions directly to the vice president of student affairs," McCormick said. "He or she is then required to submit a public response to each resolution."

The bylaws stipulate that all resolutions passed by the CLC must receive majority vote from two-thirds of the members present at a meeting.

Chief of staff Claire Sokas, now a senior, sat on CLC during her sophomore year.

"I think it's really important to meet because having the opportunity to discuss student affairs issues directly with rectors and other faculty allows us to get a better perspective on their opinion," she said. "We all had the goal of bettering the University in mind."

McCormick said CLC provides a valuable opportunity for students to speak with staff from the Office of Student Affairs.

"It allows us to learn the background and history of issues that may have predated our arrival to Notre Dame," he said.