Dawgs seek perfection, O'Neill aims for first win

By SCOTT FRANO

Sports Writer

Alumni and Siegfried will meet Sunday in a battle of undefeated squads. Unless the game ends in a 0-0 tie, at least one team will be scored on for the first time this season.

Alumni (2-0) has not surrendered a point through two games this season. The Dawgs defeated Duncan last week 6-0 to preserve their perfect defensive record. Senior running back and captain Dan Dansdill said the key to containing the

Ramblers (1-0) will be quick defensive substitutions.

"Siegfried is physically a powerhouse, and I think they're looking to outman us," Dansdill said, "So we're going to try to rotate our defensive players in faster than their offense."

Dawgs sophomore quarterback Will Cronin remains questionable to play with an ankle injury, but freshman Tyler

Barron filled in admirably last week. The Dawgs have run the ball well, lessening the burden on the signal-caller. Dansdill credits his offensive line.

"Our offensive line works really together, and we've got a few guys on the line who are definitely leaders on the team," Dansdill said.

Siegfried (1-0) defeated rival Knott 9-0 Sunday in its opening game. Senior running back and captain John Aversa said his team is ready for the challenge of the Alumni defense.

"We know Alumni is a good team. We know Alumni has a great defense. They were hard-hitting last year, too," Aversa said. "We're just looking to run our offense as best we can."

Alumni and Siegfried will battle Sunday at 2 p.m. at the Riehle Fields.

Contact Scott Frano at sfrano@nd.edu

Keenan – O'Neill

By MEGHAN RODER

Sport Writer

Keenan and O'Neill will meet Sunday with each team looking to solidify its playoff chances.

O'Neill (0-1) is ready to get back on the field as the Mob were short a couple of players during their first game against Dillon. But now the team is strapped up and looking to snag a win, senior captain Guy Schwartz said.

"We have a good, balanced team," Schwartz said. "We have improved a lot over the last two

team," Schwartz said. "We have improved a lot over the last two weeks and now we're ready to play."

Starting off the day with a team breakfast, Keenan (2-0) is poised heading into the O'Neill match.

The Knights made a statement last Sunday by proving that the talent on the team doesn't stop at the starting lineup, but rather goes deep through the bench.

"After seeing how our guys stepped up last Sunday to fill some slots, I feel that we're prepared for O'Neill," junior captain Andrew McDonough said. "We are going to have our regular lineup out there, and we'll be running the ball with full strength."

Keenan and O'Neill go head-to-head Sunday at Riehle at 3 p.m.

Contact Meghan Roder at mroder01@saintmarys.edu

Fisher – St. Edward's

By JAMES SOUTHARD

Sports Writer

Fisher and St. Edward's will clash Sunday, with Fisher hoping to improve to a winning record, while St. Edward's looks for its first win of the year.

Fisher (1-1) had a big shutout win over Carroll last week, making big plays on the ball defensively with two interceptions.

"We came up with two picks, which was very important, as it got us the ball back for our offense," junior captain Matt Hart said. "We definitely want to keep up our defensive intensity."

In preparation for Sunday's game, the Green Wave want to cut out the mental mistakes and improve their offensive balance, Hart said.

"Giving up big plays is what kills interhall football teams," Hart said. "We also want to expand our passing game and rely less on our running game."

St. Edward's (0-1) had a bye last week. The Gentlemen lost in the first week to Carroll (1-1) due to a combination of offensive stagnancy and costly penalties. Not only will the Gentlemen be looking for their first win of the season, but they will also attempt to score their first points after being shut out, senior captain Jay Mathes said.

"We were watching some teams last week, and that gave us a better sense of how to play the field," Mathes said. "We also want to improve our special teams, particularly our kickoff game."

St. Edward's is looking forward for a chance at redemption this weekend.

"It'll be great to keep having fun, put on the pads and hit someone," Mathes said.

Fisher and St. Ed's will clash Sunday at 1 p.m., with each team eager to strengthen its chances at a postseason berth.

Contact James Southard at jsouthar@nd.edu

Stanford – Dillon

By ANDREW CARDOZA

Sports Writer

Stanford and Dillon will battle it out Sunday looking to add to the win column.

The Big Red (1-1) are coming off a tough loss to Keenan, but have made a lot of adjustments and cleaned up the mistakes they made last week, according to junior captain Will Salvi.

"We were very sloppy last week and we just need to fine-tune the mistakes," Salvi said. "I expect our team to bounce back from our loss last week and play smarter."

The Big Red have a variety of athletes that can play multiple positions, but Salvi said this weekend's game is going to be a battle of quarterbacks.

"Turnovers will be the difference maker," he said. "It's going to be a battle between our quarterback [sophomore] Kevin Fink and Stanford's quarterback."Salvi said.

Stanford (1-0) is coming off a win over Keough. Junior captain Paul Babiak was satisfied with the results, but he knows there is room to grow as a team and remove the mistakes.

"We are looking to improve on our huddle," Babiak said. "Last week our huddle was extremely sloppy, and that is simple inexcusable. Every part of our game needs to be perfect," Babiak said.

Babiak said the Griffins are enthusiastic for their upcoming game.

"Our mentality is Bart Scott's ‘Can't Wait,'" Babiak said.

Stanford and Dillon square off at 3 p.m. at Riehle Fields.

Contact Andrew Cardoza at acardoza@nd.edu

Morrissey – Duncan

By PETER STEINER

Sports Writer

Morrissey and Duncan will meet Sunday with both teams looking to win its first game of the season.

Duncan (0-2) has lost both of its games this season by seven points or less, and according to junior captain Neil Eveld, the Highlanders view this Sunday as a must-win game.

"We have to get a win," Eveld said. "It's now or never."

As their defense has been solid through the first two games, Eveld said that the key to the Highlanders' success will be how well they can run the ball.

"If we can get our run game going, we feel like we can win," Eveld said.

Meanwhile, Morrissey (0-1) had a bye last Sunday, but lost to Alumni on Sept. 18 in a game where the Dawgs completed a 26-yard touchdown pass with 22 seconds remaining to take the lead.

Despite the loss, junior captain Alex Oloriz said the Manor were able to take some positive things from the game.

"Our defense played well," Oloriz said. "We only had one bad play."

In addition to playing well defensively, Oloriz said Morrissey hopes to increase its offensive production by simplifying the game plan.

"Now we have one offense that we are going to stick with," he said.

Morrissey and Duncan will play at 1 p.m. at Riehle Fields on Sunday with both teams hoping to get into the win column.

Contact Peter Steiner at psteiner@nd.edu

Zahm – Carroll

By ALLY DARRAGH

Sports Writer

Both Zahm and Carroll are hungry for a victory coming off defeats last Sunday.

"This week in practice we have focused on eliminating mental mistakes to keep from beating ourselves like we did against Fisher," Carroll junior linebacker Keith Marrero said. "Our mentality is to come out with a set game plan, but to be able to make adjustments on the field is necessary, which is something we didnt do well last week."

"Eat Pizza, Play Football, Eat more Pizza," is the motto for the Zahmbies (0-1) going into their matchup against Carroll after a season-opening loss.

"This week we focused on offensive line play. Our defense played one heck of a game last week, and as an offense we let them down," Zahm senior center Ryan Costello said. "As a line, we really need to give our skilled guys the opportunity to make the plays that we know they can make."

The Zahmbies will be looking to senior linebacker Greg ‘Bus of Fun' Bennett for experience and leadership, as well as junior defensive end Brian Salat.

Zahm and Carroll face off Sunday at 2 p.m. at Riehle Fields.

Contact Ally Darragh at adarra01@saintmarys.edu