Dillon Hall Pep Rally set for Friday

Adam Llorens | Friday, September 2, 2011

Continuing a tradition dating back to the 1970s, the Dillon Hall Pep Rally will take place Friday night to kick off this year’s football season.

“Our pep rally is almost entirely student designed, including the script made solely by our freshmen [Dillon residents],” Dillon Hall President Andy Boes said. “All acts and logistics behind the scenes are handled by students with some help from the Athletic Department.”

Director of Game Day Operations Mike Seamon, who will oversee the rally, said he has high hopes for the activities surrounding the six true home football game weekends this fall.

“There is so much more to a weekend than simply the game,” Seamon said. “It’s a core piece, but it’s certainly not the only event.”

Seamon labeled the Dillon Pep Rally as the most important pep rally of the season.

“Outside of the Opening Mass of the academic year, the Dillon Pep Rally is the first opportunity for all students to come together for the first time,” Seamon said. “Everyone from freshmen to seniors comes to celebrate themselves and Notre Dame football.”

Dillon resident and pep rally architect Peter Kundert said participants can expect an entertaining show this year.

“Students can expect a kicking newscast with a heavy emphasis on Hanson’s ‘MMMBop,'” Kundert said.

Seamon recognized the importance pep rallies have for the weekend experience.

“The pep rallies are the center of the celebration,” he said. “By bringing together students, faculty, alumni and visitors, they touch every aspect of the Notre Dame family and allow our family to come together to celebrate not only the football team, but more importantly our University.”

Some features of pep rallies from the 2010 season will continue this year, including the parade of students down Notre Dame Avenue.

“Like last year, we are ensuring that the students are front and center at the stage with various giveaways like thunder sticks that were distributed at pep rallies last year,” Seamon said. “At every rally, the two entities that will be front and center will be the team and the students.”

Student body president Patrick McCormick also said the pep rally is an important way to kick off game day.

“This is the first chance during the academic year where the Notre Dame spirit is in full force,” McCormick said. “I hope the pep rallies this football season can unite the Notre Dame family so we can work together to support both our team and Notre Dame.”

Mike George, the Leprechaun for the 2011 football season, said he is ready to keep the enthusiasm surrounding the upcoming season going.

“The biggest thing you can expect from this year’s pep rallies is community involvement,” George said. “This is what makes the rallies memorable.”