Fine arts program honors anniversary

Members of the Saint Mary's College community paid tribute to the events of 9/11 with dance, poetry and music during the "We Remember" commemoration Sunday afternoon.

Faculty, students and community members attended the event in the Little Theatre to reflect on the tenth anniversary of Sept. 11.

Laurel Thomas, professor and chair of the Department of Music, was the coordinator for the event.

"We wanted to capture a mood of meditation," Thomas said. "While we wanted the faculty recital to remember 9/11, we also wanted to send a message of hope and looking forward."

Librarian Robert Hohl and English faculty members Sr. Eva Marie Hooker, Jessica Maich and Max Westler recited poems.

The commemoration also featured musical pieces from professors Jeffrey Jacob, Daniel Party and Thomas.

Dance professor Indi Dieckgrafe performed an original dance, and cellist Lara Turner and clarinetist Jason Gresl performed "Dust" by Belinda Reynolds.

Junior Bailey Byerly said she was moved by the "We Remember" commemoration.

"It was very reflective," Byerly said. "It wasn't upsetting, though. It was an artistic way to look back and remember."

Junior Emily Pearl also enjoyed the performances and the opportunity to reflect on what happened 10 years ago.

"It made me think back to when I first heard about the attacks," Pearl said. "It brought back the feeling I had on that day, and really made me think about all the people and families affected."

Thomas stressed the importance of remembering 9/11 and the lessons learned from it.

"It's the idea that love lives on and life lives on," she said. "We're not trying to relive, we're trying to remember."