Former Irish assistant coach serves time in jail

Former Irish assistant football coach Corwin Brown spent the weekend in jail on felony charges related to a seven-hour standoff at his Granger home in August.

Brown posted $5,000 bond Monday afternoon following an arraignment hearing to formally read his charges, which were filed Aug. 16.

Brown was charged with domestic violence, a Class D felony, and two counts of confinement, according to court documents. The two confinement charges are Class C and Class B felonies.

Brown spent nearly a month in a secured medical facility after the standoff, but records at the St. Joseph County Jail stated he was booked there Friday.

St. Joseph County Police responded to a call Aug. 12 from Melissa Brown, Corwin Brown's wife, reporting domestic violence at the home. Law enforcement arrived at the home in the early afternoon and remained outside the residence until early evening, according to police reports.

Melissa Brown told police at the scene that her husband threatened her while he had a handgun in his pocket and refused to let her leave their home.

A SWAT team negotiated with Corwin Brown during the standoff.

Officers continued to negotiate with the former defensive coordinator during the seven-hour standoff, and the report stated several gunshots were heard before Corwin Brown exited the home after 7 p.m. He suffered a self-inflicted wound in his side, police said.

Corwin Brown was treated at Memorial Hospital before police transported him to a local psychiatric facility, according to St. Joseph County police.

Brown was a member of the Notre Dame football staff from 2007 to 2009. He then served as a defensive backs coach with the New England Patriots during the 2010 season, but he was relieved of his duties on the team in February.