Group discusses new budget

Members passed the new budget for the 2011-2012 academic year during the weekly Saint Mary's Student Government Association (SGA) meeting.

Student body president Nicole Gans opened the floor for the new budget by presenting the newest components.

"We have had an overall budget decrease from last year of 30 percent and therefore adjustments have been made throughout the budget to accommodate these changes," she said.

Gans began the meeting by emphasizing its main goal was to pass the budget.

"We really did not have as much rollover this year because of the decrease," she said. "We did not have control over this. This cut just had to happen."

Since the College has had a decrease in enrollment the past two years, the budget had to be minimized, she said. The money for the budget comes directly from the money grossed by students, which is why the decrease was inevitable.

Technology commissioner Maureen Parsons explained how each section of SGA would receive their own portions of the new budget.

"We took the rollover from last year and took in the purpose of each board as well as events being planned for this year to determine what each group receives for the budget," Parsons said.

Executive treasurer Liz Busam stressed the importance of passing the new budget before the end of the night when more than one question rose from the governing body.

"The longer we go without passing the budget, the more time goes by before we can give everyone her own budget for the year," Busam said.

After putting forth the motion to pass the new budget, 13 members of SGA agreed to pass it out of the 19 members who voted, reaching the required two-thirds majority.

In addition to the budget, SGA also approved the bylaws and amendments of the governing documents.