IEI building to serve as office, study space

The new Institute for Educational Initiatives (IEI) building not only serves as a new office space for the Alliance for Catholic Education (ACE), but it also opens another study space for students on campus.

Sarah Greene, assistant director in the ACE Service Through Teaching Program, said her office moved into the newly constructed Carole Sandner Hall this summer.

"It's a beautifully renovated area with inspiring historic origins," Greene said. "It's wonderful to see how Notre Dame has utilized the space to make this connection between past initiatives and current programs in service to Catholic education."

The new study room connects to the building's historical roots, Greene said.

"Remick Commons was constructed out of the building's original chapel, where Holy Cross Sisters in the novitiate once received their training for teaching in Catholic schools," Greene said.

The new office, relocated from Badin Hall, is located near Brownson Hall and the Earth Science Building.

"The entrance to ACE's historic new home, located just north of the Basilica, opens into the Remick Commons area," Greene said. "The IEI welcomes students to view Remick Commons as a location for small events or group discussions, especially concerning matters of service or education."

The study room, full of couches and tables for students, is located on the building's first floor.

The ACE staff will handle reservations for large groups using the space, she said.

Even if students do not use the study room, Greene said she hopes they will seek out the ACE office to ask questions about the program.

"[We invite] interested students to stop by their office on the second floor, whether to have specific questions answered or simply to become acquainted with the service program's staff and faculty," she said.

The University founded the IEI program nearly 20 years ago as part of its commitment to revitalize American education, Greene said.

As part of the IEI offices, the new building houses many programs, including the Mary Ann Remick Leadership Program, Teaching Exceptional Children, Play Like a Champion Today and Service through Teaching, Greene said.

The building also accommodates other IEI departments, including the Education and Schooling Society minor.

Bill Schmitt, the office's communications and media specialist, said University President Fr. John Jenkins would dedicate the building Friday at 5 p.m. The dedication will be followed by a keynote address from Va. Gov. Bob McDonnell and a Mass with Bishop Kevin Rhoades.

"The center hopes the public events will spark the interests of all on campus and particularly prospective applicants to ACE's Service through Teaching program," Schmitt said.