Michigan State gameday smoother than last

By SARA FELSENSTEIN

Associate News Editor

Director for Game Day Operations Mike Seamon said he "couldn't be happier" with the way the past home game weekend turned out.

Seamon, also the associate vice president of Campus Safety, said over 82,000 people attended the sold out Michigan State game Saturday.

Seamon called the second game day of the season a stark improvement from the afternoon of the USF game, when severe weather resulted in the first stadium evacuation in Notre Dame history.

"Compared to the first week, talk about total opposites," he said. "It was good to get back to a regular game and not have to be worrying about weather. It went extremely well."

Police made seven arrests Saturday, director of Notre Dame Security Police Phil Johnson said.

He said one man was arrested for public intoxication inside the stadium. Outside the stadium, four people were arrested for public intoxication, one for disorderly conduct and false informing and one was ticketed for underage drinking, Johnson said.

Campus was packed the entire weekend, Seamon said, with 15,000 people attending the pep rally on Irish Green Friday and over 3,000 visiting the tunnel.

Seamon said Michigan State's close proximity to Notre Dame played a part in the high number of visitors.

"That always adds to it — whenever you play Michigan or Michigan State, or even Purdue, whenever it's a driving distance game [we tend] to have more people on campus," he said.

Seamon said special events like former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice's appearance at the pep rally and honoring the 1966 National Championship team also contributed to the influx of excited visitors.

"It's safe to say it was a successful weekend both on and off the field," he said.

Contact Sara Felsenstein at sfelsens@nd.edu