Mike Lee fight week

To the Student Body,

It is plain that we love to win here at Notre Dame. Unfortunately, our Fighting Irish are still looking for their first one when they host the Spartans this Saturday. However, there is one Domer who will be competing here this weekend who has done nothing but win. I am talking about Mike Lee, of course. The recent Notre Dame grad is fighting in the main event of the first ever professional boxing match to be hosted on campus. Not only is there the fight Friday night starting at 9 p.m., but you can also see Lee work out Tuesday at 4 p.m. and his weigh-in Thursday at 5 p.m. on the Irish Green. This is a truly unique experience that we as the students of Notre Dame have an opportunity to take an active role in.

One of the reasons Our Lady's University is so special is that we have a proud history of supporting our own. This week is another chance to demonstrate that spirit. Whether or not you have any interest in boxing as a sport, I say we use this week to show Lee and all the people who will see highlights of the fight on NBC at halftime of the game Saturday that we will always cheer on a fellow Domer, especially one who perfectly exemplifies what it means to be the Fighting Irish because not only is he going to be fighting in the ring, but he is donating the profits from the fight to the Ara Parseghian Medical Research Foundation and the Robinson Community Learning Center.

In summary, if you like boxing, you should go. If you like new experiences, you should go. If you like helping others, you should go. And finally, if you like the University of Notre Dame, you should go. I hope to see the Joyce Center rocking come Friday night to help Lee stay undefeated.

Sincerely,

Will Peterson

sophomore

O'Neill Hall

Sept. 11