ND Women's Golf: Irish sharpen skills as fall season approaches

When the Irish arrived on campus just a few weeks ago, there was much work to be done at practice to prepare for the fall season. After being scattered around the country during the summer months, they needed to shake off the rust and getting back to playing winning golf.

"With the fall season, we really try to get them back into the swing of things," Irish coach Susan Holt said. "They've all been doing different things over the summer, whether that be summer school, working or playing golf. So right now, we've just been trying to get their overall games ready."

Daily practices provided lots of time to bring back the team's skill and prepare them for the season, which begins Monday at the Golfweek Conference Challenge in Wolcott, Colo. Holt employed several different drills to get her team on its game for the tournament.

"We've been focusing on short game drills and putting drills, because we can save a lot of strokes around the green," Holt said. "We've also been trying to get our yardages down, especially with our wedges. You're able to get that consistency through lots of repetition."

In addition to working on their swings, the Irish have also been working on their fitness. By building up their endurance, workouts ensure they won't come to the 18th hole exhausted after a day of playing and carrying a bag.

"We've been working out every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday morning in the [Guglielmino Athletic Complex]," Holt said. "Each individual has been working on what they need to be ready, and we're excited about that."

The season opens in less than a week with the first chance to determine if the preseason practices prepared Notre Dame enough. Holt says that her team is chomping at the bit to begin tournament play, and is more than ready for another championship year.

"This week, we're just going to keep the same routine we've had going," she said. "We've gotten out for practice rounds a couple of times a week, and I've liked what I've seen, but it's not the same as tournament play. We're ready to get out there and start competing."

The Irish will open play at the Golfweek Conference Challenge next Monday in Wolcott, Colo., at the Red Sky Golf Club.