Tuesday, May 14, 2024

SMC Golf: Belles try to catch conference rivals

With the regular season winding down, the Belles will attempt to gain ground on MIAA leaders Hope and Olivet when they play conference foe Albion at the Medalist Golf Club in Marshall, Mich. on Thursday.

Senior Christine Brown said the team is familiar with the course and has high expectations for the match.

"Most of the team has played the Medalist previously because it is the home course of two MIAA teams," she said. "We have always played well at the course and playing there is a great opportunity for us to do well."

The contest provides Saint Mary's an important opportunity to move up in the MIAA standings, where it is currently ranked third.

"We are currently behind Hope and Olivet in the MIAA," Brown said. "In this match, we hope to gain ground on the two teams and close the gap."

The Belles have been close to putting together solid rounds, but big numbers have plagued them all year. Brown said she understands the importance of keeping a clean round and executing the small things. It separates the mediocre teams from the great teams, she said.

"When you compare the teams who are winning national championships to the ones who are placing lower, it all comes down to the short game and minimizing errors," Brown said.

Brown said Saint Mary's needs a complete team effort to be successful in this week's match, a theme it will need to continue throughout the remainder of the season.

"I would like to be able to string together some consistent low rounds," Brown said. "I also want to remain focused and confident with my ability this week. That is something that not only myself, but everyone else on the team is aiming to do as well.

"We drive each other as a team. Not one score can lead a team to victory. It takes good scores from each and every individual to get us to where we want to be."

Saint Mary's and Albion will face off Thursday at 1 p.m. at the Medalist Golf Course in Marshall, Mich.