SMC hosts activities night

Hundreds of students crowded Library Green Wednesday evening to attend the first outdoor Activity Fair at Saint Mary's College.

A variety of clubs and organizations sponsored booths to recruit new members from the Saint Mary's community.

Student Government Campus Clubs Commissioner Cassie Palmer, along with the staff of the Student Involvement and Multicultural Services (SIMS) Office, was responsible for planning the event.

"Activities Night is a chance for all the student clubs, as well as academic departments and community outreach organizations, to showcase their work in an effort to boost membership and involvement," Palmer, a senior, said. This year, we have a wide range of clubs and organizations not only from Saint Mary's, but also Notre Dame and the South Bend community attending the event."

The Activity Fair also featured many clubs and organizations new to campus this year, Palmer said.

Feminists United is a new club that was approved in April.

Seniors Mona Rodriguez and Arianne Rodriguez are co-presidents of the club and were prompted to start Feminists United after taking a Women's Studies course.

"We were both in Women's Studies last fall and we realized being an all women's institution that we didn't have any sort of feminist club," Mona Rodriguez said. "We found it a disservice to our school."

In addition to hosting discussions and guest speakers on women's issues, Feminists United also works with the Young Women's Christian Association and the Belles Against Violence Office to provide students with an opportunity to be involved both on campus and in the community, Mona Rodriguez said.

"We're about activism. We're not just going to talk about women's issues, but we want to do something about them," Arianne Rodriguez said.

School Age Mother's Pen Pal Program is another organization new to campus this year. The program pairs Saint Mary's students with a high school-aged young mother in the area.

"I just wanted to create a role model to inspire girls and empower young mothers in our community," junior and president of the program Laura Corrigan said.

First year Grace Harvey attended the Activity Fair and explored Italian Club, Friends with Sisters and Healthy Body, Healthy Mind.

"I'm interested in nutrition, especially being healthy in college," Harvey said.

Other students signed up for clubs pertaining to their majors.

First year Cecily Medina, who hopes to become an engineer, took interest in the Society for Women Engineers, while first year Matie Ohms signed up for Dance Marathon and Math Club.

"It was a good way to get involved and get out of my room," Ohms said.