Tuesday, May 14, 2024

SMC offers career advice for students

Whether a freshman is starting college or a senior is entering the job market, Saint Mary's Career Crossings Office (CCO) offers resources for those heading into unfamiliar territory, according to CCO Director Stacie Jeffirs.

"Our office is a good start for students," Jeffirs said. "Some students just don't know where to begin, don't know how to prepare, and all you really need to do is just walk in."

This fall, CCO began offering online workshops covering resume writing, exploring majors and careers, networking and post-graduate service.

"It's really about … figuring [out] what your interests are and exploring all the options and opportunities that are out there," Jeffirs said. "That's what our office facilitates."

The office already posted four videos this fall. The workshops, all under 20 minutes long, are titled "Getting Started with Resumes," "Getting Started with Cover Letters," "Getting Started with Networking" and "Using the Alumnae Resource Network."

The office also hosts events in collaboration with Saint Mary's Alumnae Relations and the Alumnae Board, Jeffirs said. Two of these events, "Success after Saint Mary's" and "Google Alums: The Path to a Google Career," will be held next week.

"It's firsthand knowledge and experience," Jeffirs said. "Students and alums are just drawn to each other."

In addition to the workshops and outside events, Jeffirs said CCO offers academic and career counseling in person. These meetings are "about educating students on all things career," she said.

But CCO career events are not just for seniors. The office reaches out to freshmen and sophomores by offering programs focused on "inviting [them] all into the office," Jeffirs said.

The CCO will host an Open House on Wednesday from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. and Thursday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in preparation for the Notre Dame Fall Career Expo. The expo will be Thursday from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the JACC at Notre Dame.

"Just walk in the door," Jeffirs said. "We'll help you."