SMC Soccer: Belles win Defiance Classic

The Belles dominated in the Defiance Classic with two 4-0 shutout victories over Defiance College and Thiel College this weekend, snatching their first tournament win since 2008.

Belles coach Michael Joyce said the tournament win was a great way to open the season.

"We controlled both games, so it was a great opportunity to see a lot of the new players in game action," Joyce said.

Saint Mary's began their season Friday with the 4-0 win over Defiance College. The game was scoreless until well into the first half.

Freshman forward Kelly Wilson scored both the game's first goal and her first collegiate goal. Five minutes later, senior co-captain Michelle Marshall kicked a long shot for the Belles' second point.

After the half, freshman midfielder Hillary Burton made her own mark, scoring her first goal as a Belle and bringing the score to 3-0. Senior forward Katelyn Tondo-Steele kicked in the final goal at the end of the game.

"The chemistry on the field was very high for our fist couple of games out," Joyce said. "It was a big confidence boost to get some victories under our belt."

Freshmen ChanlerRosenbaum and Natalie Warner manned the goal, kicking their college careers off with a team shutout.

In the second game of the tournament, Saint Mary's beat Thiel with another 4-0 victory. Senior midfielder Taylor Paton scored the first goal in the first 15 minutes of the game, turning a corner kick into a 1-0 lead. Paton struck again after the half with another corner kick.

"Taylor Paton scored three goals from the midfield, which is not easy to do," Joyce said. "She really impressed me."

Freshman midfielder Erin Mishu scored her first goal only three minutes after Paton's, bringing the Belles to a 3-0 lead. The final shot was made by sophomore forward Jordan Diffenderfer.

Rosenbaum and Warner successfully shut out their second straight game, the first pair of consecutive shutouts for Saint Mary's since 2007.

The Belles defense allowed only one shot on goal from the Tomcats.

"Quite a few freshmen made a good case for starting and playing time," Joyce said. "We have a lot to work out over the next couple of games about the best lineup and right chemistry."

Saint Mary's will play at home against the Manchester College Spartans at 5 p.m. Tuesday.

Contact Katie Heit at

kheit@nd.edu