Students meet with artists at reception

Cealy Glover | Monday, September 12, 2011

Saint Mary’s students had the opportunity Friday to meet the artists behind the work currently hanging in the Moreau Art Galleries. 

The artists reception, which was held from 5 to 7 p.m. Friday evening, gave students and the public the chance to view three exhibitions as well as meet the artists who created them.

The reception featured the artwork of a Saint Mary’s professor and student, as well as two solo exhibits.

Senior Kerri Doherty said she enjoyed looking at the different exhibits. 

“The art reception was so interesting,” Doherty said. “The artwork was amazing and the atmosphere was energetic.  It was great to see the work of a Saint Mary’s student as well as outside artists.” 

Doherty said she felt a connection to the work displayed.

“Each artist’s exhibit was unique in that it explored the relationship between art and life,” Doherty said. “I was really able to connect to the art.”

The student exhibit is the result of Student Independent Study and Research (SISTAR), which is a grant given to a faculty member and student to conduct research for eight weeks during the summer and create a final project.

The student, usually a rising senior, pursues her research as a junior colleague with the faculty partner. 

Krista Hoefle, associate professor of art, and senior Katie Fisher created this year’s SISTAR installation, “Unknown Atomic.” Displayed in the Sister Rosaire Gallery, the silk screen project explores the relationship between replication and repetition, attraction and repulsion and good versus evil.

“The SISTAR grant is a great opportunity for both students and faculty,” Hoefle said. “It really gives the student, in her junior year, an experience similar to that of a graduate student.  They really do their own thing and work on their own project.” 

Fisher said she and Hoefle “really had to start from scratch” on their project.

“We set up a two women print making and sculpture studio. We didn’t rely on anyone but ourselves,” she said. “Any resource we had came from us.”

Hoefle said they needed a huge amount of space to complete the project. 

“We occupied three big studio spaces,” she said.  

At the artists reception, Beth Reitmeyer from the Zg Gallery in Chicago also displayed her new installation project called “Room forInspiration.”  

Her exhibit focused on colors and patterns specific to certain spaces.  

Reitmeyer said she intends to diminish the distance between the artwork and the viewer.

Jim Hopfensperger, professor of art at Western Michigan University, created the final exhibition. Titled “New Sculptural Furniture,” it features sculptural work that explores new ways of using handmade objects.

The art exhibition is open to the public through Sept. 16.