Monday, May 6, 2024

Students seek away tickets

Because of both the team rivalry and close proximity of Ann Arbor to Notre Dame, the University of Michigan away game is always popular with students.  

Acquiring student tickets for the game is not easy, though.

That's why the Student Union Board (SUB) held a ticket lottery Thursday for the Sept. 10 Notre Dame vs. Michigan game.

Beginning at 12 p.m. Thursday, Notre Dame students could enter their name for the chance to purchase up to two student tickets at face value, or $85.

SUB board manager junior Joseph Caparros said the lottery had around 2600 applicants, which meant the chance to get tickets was slim.

Only 150 students were selected in the ticket lottery, with a total of 300 tickets available for purchase.

"Students were given a lot of time on a Thursday and after [a] period of time … the winners were randomly generated and emailed," Caparros said.

Winning students could then purchase their tickets from the LaFortune box office Friday.

Caparros said each winning student received the opportunity to buy two tickets.

"The number of tickets available to students does change from game to game," he said. "It just so happens for the UM game, it's a night game, it's a rivalry, so of course a lot of students want to go."

SUB used a new process for the lottery this year and directed students to apply for tickets online.

Junior Jimmy Walsh said the online application process was very straightforward.

"I just clicked the link, filled in the blanks," he said. "It couldn't be any simpler."

Caparros said students have given SUB good feedback about the online application process.

"Before we had a physical process where students would come to the SUB office and we would swipe their cards with electronic swipers," he said. "This is a lot easier for the students, and more convenient as well."

While very few students were able to get tickets for the University of Michigan game, Caparros said he thought most students understood the odds and remained positive.

"They knew a lot of people were applying, and only a certain number of tickets were available," he said. "Of course people would be disappointed."

Walsh did not get picked in the lottery, but he knew his chances were slim and was glad he tried anyway.

"I mean, everybody wins the lottery every once and awhile," he said.