The Greatest Show on Turf 2.0

While watching the Welsh Family offense methodically move the ball in a 27-8 win over McGlinn on Monday night, it was easy to be awestruck by the efficiency and success of the attack.

The Whirlwind (2-0), who gained 253 yards of total offense, brought to mind another elite offense that racked up yardage with ease, especially through the air: the 1999-2001 St. Louis Rams, whose prowess earned them the nickname "The Greatest Show on Turf."

That team, led by Kurt Warner, Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt and Marshall Faulk, picked apart defenses with ease on its way to setting numerous offensive records, specifically passing milestones.

The 2011 Welsh Family offense was doing its best impersonation of the Rams on Monday night. Junior quarterback Vicky Moreno completed 23-of-27 passes for 249 yards and four touchdowns. She opened the game with a 7-for-7 mark and her 85 percent completion rate was Warneresque. Any good NFL quarterback would admit that offensive success starts with the linemen in the trenches and Moreno is no different, despite playing at a slightly different level.

"We got protection from the offensive line and I just let the receivers do the rest of the work," Moreno said.

The triumvirate of seniors Natalie Baldasare and Charlotte Seasly and junior Kirsten Groody caught nearly everything that was thrown their way, with only one drop between them. They totaled 21 receptions for 236 yards and four touchdowns. Despite this being their second game in as many days, the group was fired up.

"We came into the game with a lot of energy," Moreno said. "My receivers were just great."

If the Whirlwind can continue this high-powered attack for the duration of the season, then they will certainly be the Interhall version of "The Greatest Show on Turf."