The state of the program

Ladies and gentlemen,

Football is a physical game that requires vicious play. It demands respect both of and for the opponent. However, you gain the respect of no one if you first fail to respect yourself.

As it stands, there are three men who have proven that they can restore the football program to elite status.

Two are yet again positioning their teams to reach the pinnacle of the college football season. One is on hiatus.

The University of Notre Dame oversees a $6.8 billion endowment that it has amassed due to excellence in academic, athletic and spiritual pursuits. The football program is the cornerstone — it's what separates us from the University of Dayton. Money should be no object to revive the biggest reason why we are all a part of this community.

Jack, I don't care what it takes. Fly six Black Hawks to his home, extricate it from Mother Earth and bring him to South Bend.

The landscape of college football is about to change dramatically. Clever brand positioning has allowed us to limp along in mediocrity for 18 years.

It can sustain us no longer. Conference affiliation is not an option.

The time to act responsibly occurred 15 years ago. We are only left with today. Let's live for it while we still can.

Mike Varley

Class of 2007

Durham, N.C.

Sept. 11