Time for change

Finally, some sense from current Notre Dame students Kyla Wargel and Cody Gaffney ("Rally all of Notre Dame," Sept. 19) about an issue some of us alums have been supporting since our days on campus back in the early 1980s. Last I recall, the student population at Notre Dame is now 50/50 men vs. women instead of 100 percent male back before 1972.

It's sad to read the rather childish comments from those responding online. Just like believing that the childish act of raising fists during the victory march on the words "her" and "sons" is supposed to somehow recognize the contributions of women on campus, when all it does is reinforce the misogynistic attitude among the "mature" sons of Notre Dame.

The University survived the acceptance of women as regular students, its first tenured female professor, a female drum major for the band and the selection of a female member into the fraternity known as the Irish Guard. Also, all three of the last single-sex national championship teams were women (soccer, basketball).

Some are right ­— changing the lyrics is not going to achieve world peace or solve all the world's social problems. But it does recognize a human trait we are called to demonstrate to one another — respect. It's time for Notre Dame students and alums to accept that women now comprise an equal if not a majority role on campus and show them the respect they have always deserved.

"While her loyal sons and daughters march on to victory!"

Eduardo Magallanez

alumnus

Class of 1983

Sept. 19