-

-

Weekend Events Calendar

Mary Claire O'Donnell | Thursday, September 29, 2011

Thursday, Sept. 29

Brian Regan

Morris Performing

Arts Center

7:30 p.m.

$15 to $65

Comedian Brian Regan is bringing his hilarious observational humor to the Morris Performing Arts Center this weekend.   His off-center but clean humor will appeal to all senses of humor, so don’t miss this opportunity.

Friday, Sept. 30

Swing Night

Legends Nightclub

Midnight

Free with ID

How awesome are your dance moves? Showcase them this Friday night at Legends’s Swing Night.  This night is for all talent levels, so head over either to learn or to show off your moves.  Just know, your dancing shoes better be on and you ought to be ready to boogey.

Saturday, Oct. 1

“The Secret in the Wings”

Debartolo Performing

Arts Center

7:30 to 9:30 p.m.

$15 regular, $12 faculty/senior, $7 student

Mary Zimmerman’s “The Secret in the Wings” weaves together the stories of a number of fairy tales, many of them rarely told, like “Three Blind Queens” and “The Princess Who Wouldn’t Laugh.”

Sunday, Oct. 2

Exhibition Hockey game vs. Western Ontario

JACC

6:05 to 8:05 p.m.

Free

The men’s hockey team will open their season with a contest against Western Ontario.  Although they haven’t yet moved into their new home at the Compton Family Ice Arena, the Irish are still ready to start their season.

-

-

Weekend Events Calendar

Courtney Cox | Thursday, September 22, 2011

Thursday

The Mockumentaries of 

Christopher Guest

Debartolo Performing Arts Center

6:30 and 9 p.m.

$3 for students

Students can indulge in the best of Guest, “Best in Show” and “Waiting for Guffman,” without ever leaving campus. Both films feature characters cause both confusion and intense laughter. 

Friday

Cocktails with Larry Miller 

Debartolo Performing Arts Center

7 p.m.

$15

Larry Miller provides a comedy night for the everyman at a cost that even college kids can handle. Students can watch the comedy styling of Miller, the guy pretty much everyone recognizes but they can’t quite remember why.

Saturday

SatAWAY Fitness

Rolfs Sports Recreation Center

9:30 a.m.

Free

These classes, offered for free on away game Saturdays, are the perfect way to get motivated. This week’s offering is outdoor boot camp. Sign up via RecRegister because space is limited and come prepared to work out like a champion.

Sunday

Andy Warhol Exhibit

Snite Museum of Art

1 to 5 p.m.

Free

Take in this Snite exhibit only one week after its grand opening. It’s a perfect leisurely afternoon activity that has the power to induce a sophisticated art-snob air in even the most uncouth. Get inspired by Warholian polaroids before its closing November 13.

-

-

Weekend Events Calendar

Mary Claire O'Donnell | Thursday, September 15, 2011

Thursday Sept. 15

Poker Tournament

Legends Nightclub

Midnight

Free with ID

How’s your poker face? Head to Legends Thursday night for the first poker tournament of the year to test it out against other Domers. Try your hand at some classic card games and see if your skills can take you to the top of the pack. Who knows, this first tournament might be your stepping-stone to the World Series of Poker.

Friday Sept. 16

No. 16 Men’s Soccer vs. Michigan

Alumni Stadium

7:30 p.m.

Free

The Fighting Irish are looking to avenge the football team’s loss to Michigan on the soccer field Friday, so head out to Alumni Field to support them.  The “Lose the Shoes” finals will also be taking place, which should be a great showcase of amateur soccer.  Also, for all seniors, it’s Senior Appreciation Night, so be sure to get your free pizza, free raffles and special seating.

Saturday Sept. 17

Rep Your Res

Legends Nightclub

Midnight

Free with ID

Notre Dame dorm life is a very unique institution of our great University.  Rivalries are created, lines aren’t crossed and lasting friendships are made down the hall.  What better way to show pride for your dorm than to rep your dorm, mascot, colors and all at Legends after the football game.  Bring your friends and show the rest of campus what is so awesome about your dorm.

Sunday Sept. 18

The Way

Debartolo Performing Arts Center — Browning Cinema

Noon and 3 p.m.

Sold out

The Nanovic Institute for European Studies will put on a production of this 2010 movie starring Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez, who will also be present at the screening.  Congratulations if you managed to snag tickets to this event, which is sold out, and enjoy the cinematic masterpiece.  But even if you didn’t get tickets, you might be able to catch a glimpse of the father-son duo if you hang out by DPAC long enough.

-

-

Weekend Events Calendar

Maija Gustin | Thursday, September 8, 2011

Thursday – Maps & Atlases

Subkirke

8:30 p.m.

$10 in advance, $12 at the door

The Chicago indie darlings head to Subkirke, the concert venue at the South Bend Christian Reformed Church, as part of a U.S. tour that extends into October. The band is known for mixing its folk roots with more cutting-edge, experimental music and has been dubbed “math rock.” Check out their performance for a taste of their newest album, “Perch Patchwork” and to hear old favorites. Notre Dame band Ratboy opens.

Friday – Chicanitas: Small Paintings from the Cheech Marin Collection at Snite

The Snite Museum of Art

10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (hours may vary on other days)

Free

Chicanitas is just one of the many new art exhibitions at the Snite this fall. The collection of 65 paintings from 26 different painters is one of the newest additions to Cheech Marin’s personal collection of Chicano art. These paintings, which celebrate the Mexican-American culture and heritage, focus less on politics and social issues and more on emotions and internal expression. The exhibition will be on display through Nov. 13.

Saturday – Wet Hot American Summer

The Browning Cinema at DPAC

11:59 p.m.

$3 for students

DPAC’s popular Midnight Movies series is back this fall with its first film, “Wet Hot American Summer.” The movie is about a summer camp in 1981 and features some famous faces (before they became famous) as the camp staff. Head over to the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center to see Amy Poehler, Paul Rudd, Bradley Cooper, David Hyde Pierce, Elizabeth Banks, Christopher Meloni and more of your favorite stars in this comedic cult classic.

Sunday – Men’s Soccer

Alumni Fields

2:00 p.m.

Free

The No. 17 Irish men host the Bucknell Bison at Alumni Fields this Sunday. With a win over Dayton and a loss to St. Louis last weekend, Notre Dame will be fresh off a game against Denver. Lend your support and cheer the Irish on to victory!

-

-

Weekend Events Calendar

Claire Stephens | Thursday, September 1, 2011

Thursday: In Euphoric Company

Legends of Notre Dame

10 p.m.

Free with Student ID

After a summer recording their new album in Sacramento, Calif. the all-original group based out of Notre Dame is back. ND student band Ratboy will open for In Euphoric Company. Head over for great music and all your ambient-pop dreams will come true.

Friday: Gabriel Iglesias

South Quad

10 p.m.

Free

Get a hot and fluffy start on your weekend with the biggest comedy show of the year. This Mexican comedian has appeared on Comedy Central and “Good Morning America.” Join your fellow students on South Quad for a hilarious night with Gabriel Iglesias.

Saturday: SUB Movie – “Thor”

DeBartolo 101

8 p.m. and 10:30 p.m.

$3 with Student ID

With plenty of action,

romance and fantasy to go around, “Thor” is the perfect movie for comic book

lovers or friends seeking some Norse mythology eye candy. And as always, a

classic date night out for those looking for affordable entertainment.

Sunday: Michiana Celtic Festival

Howard Park

9 a.m. to 9 p.m.

$5

Cultural pride abounds in downtown South Bend. Come for Irish dancing, sheep dogs, Clydesdale Horses, Scottish Cattle, Highland games, tug of war, bagpipe and Celtic bands, children’s activities, food, drink, entertainment and more!