Women's game impressive

Before heading over from Saint Mary's to the LaBar Practice Complex, I wasn't too sure what to expect from the womens' side of interhall football at Notre Dame. The previous week, I was introduced to the intensity of the men's play but I wasn't too sure how the women's games would be. Would it be serious? Would it be fun to watch?

Much to my surprise, I watched an outstanding game. Not once did I ever find myself thinking that either team was sloppy or unorganized. They exceeded my expectations beyond belief. Pasquerilla East and Walsh both came ready to play and hungry for a victory.

Although the game ended in a 12-12 tie and the outcome was not what either team was hoping for, the Pyros (0-2-1) took the game as a learning experience.

"Everyone is starting to get to know each other better," Pasquerilla East freshman quarterback Macy Mulhall said. "Each game we learn more and more, which makes us able to clean our game up."

Not only was this matchup more intense then the men's game I watched the previous week, it was also more exciting and fun to watch. These women have talent and they don't attribute all of their success to one or two players like the men do.

"We worked as a great unit," Walsh captain Lindy Navarre said. "We can't contribute our success to one girl, we all have to work together to make things happen."

The opening play of the game was a quick reminder that these women weren't joking around and that they are to be taken seriously. Pasquerilla East and Walsh (0-2-1) both proved to have extremely crafty, well-thought-out plays that went far beyond 5-yard passes.

Aside from the offensive creativity, the defense from both sides was also exceptionally impressive. Not only are the players not allowed to tackle each other, but they can only aim for three small pieces of fabric while running full speed. The Wild Women and Pyros are both teams that present and future interhall teams — men too — should attempt to mimic.