Group discusses leadership program

Saint Mary's Student Government Association (SGA) began debating the specific programming of "Proud Past, Promising Future," the proposed student leadership development program, at its Tuesday meeting.

The program, set to begin in November, will focus on a different theme each month.

SGA members discussed the possibility of focusing the first month on self-reflection, encouraging students to consider the strength of their leadership skills.

Kelly Reidenbach, Student Diversity Board president, said beginning with a month of self-evaluation would help students decide whether the program would benefit them.

"It's important to start with the reflecting, then from there people can gauge where they need to go," she said. "So it's in stages."

Despite only having a few weeks in December for programming, executive treasurer Liz Busam said finals would be a good time to focus on the theme of motivation.

"Motivation [is fitting] because it will give [students] motivation to get through finals," Busam said.

Reidenbach said the theme would encourage the personal drive to work through finals, as well as interpersonal motivation to inspire others as leaders.

"The focus should be how to be a leader for yourself, and then how to be a leader for your group," she said.

In January, the group plans to focus on personal presentation and professional development.

Emily Skirtich, chief of staff, suggested an etiquette-themed dinner.

"We could have a leadership etiquette dinner and have someone come in and give specific etiquette lessons," Skirtich said.

Public Relations commissioner Amanda Lester said students would benefit from having prominent businesswomen speak at the College.

"We could bring in different CEOs and have them talk about how they got to their position and their different experiences," she said.

In keeping with the theme of leadership mentors, SGA president Nicole Gans suggested taking advantage of the Board of Trustees visit in February.

The program would conclude in March with a proposed theme of inspiration.