Group discusses SMC leadership program

Saint Mary's Student Government Association discussed the possibility of establishing a student leadership development program at its Tuesday meeting.

The proposed leadership program would include seminars, workshops and guest speakers.

Student body president Nicole Gans said the program would offer an opportunity for the whole association to contribute toward something with tangible results.

"This is a way for everyone on our council to be involved," Gans said. "This is something that we can start this year."

Executive treasurer Liz Busam said a program emphasizing leadership skill-building could have a lasting impact on participants.

"This will have positive effects that take [the] Saint Mary's [experience] through the rest of our lives," she said.

Student Services commissioner Laura Glaub said the association would be a good group to initiate the program with before expanding to other students.

"I love this idea," Glaub said. "I think its great we start it here in this room because then it can branch off into other clubs."

Student body vice president JacqualynZupancic said the program could encourage students outside of traditional student leadership positions to share their ideas for improving the College.

"We need different perspectives and we need to think outside the box," she said.

Zupancic said the individual seminars should be cohesive.

"We need to try to connect each leadership seminar," she said.

In keeping with the theme of student engagement and differing perspectives, Gans said the association would field any input on the development of the program.

"We want to be able to do whatever people feel inspired to do."