High-Heel-A-Thon supports hospital

Junior Libbie Gilliland sprinted 50 yards in her favorite pair of high heels Monday night.

Gilliland, sporting the black heels decorated with silver bells and pearls, took first place in the second annual High-Heel-A-Thon sponsored by the Saint Mary's Dance Marathon. The proceeds from the race benefit the Riley Hospital for Children, which has 19 locations throughout Indiana.

Gilliland said the race is an innovative way to support the hospital's work.

"I did the High-Heel-A-Thon because I have medical conditions," Gilliland said. "Even though I go to a hospital in the Chicago area, Riley Hospital still holds the same concept. It's a great way for me to give back."

Dance Marathon president senior Becca Guerin said the High-Heel-A-Thon contributes to the overall goal of the marathon that will be hosted later in the year. Each high-heeled runner paid a $5 entry fee.

"The people who ultimately benefit from our fundraisers like the High-Heel-A-Thon are the patients and families of Riley's Children Hospital," Guerin said. "It is gratifying to know that the funds we raise will make a direct impact at Riley."

The College hopes to increase its overall contribution to the hospital this year. Last year, the marathon raised over $63,000 for Riley Children's Hospital, Guerin said.

"This year, our monetary goal is to increase last year's total by 20 percent," she said.

Juniors Kate Kellogg and Liz Kraig, co-executives for Dance Marathon fundraising, planned the race.

"It's a fun event to get the campus excited about Dance Marathon," Kellogg said. "The idea is just to create awareness throughout the year. The High-Heel-A-Thon works perfectly in the ‘classy and fabulous' atmosphere of Saint Mary's."

Junior Nora Quirk finished second and junior Sarah Feeley took third.

Students who attended to watch the event were aware of the impact made at Riley Children's Hospital. Junior Christina Barra said many members of the College support the Dance Marathon in some way.

"Dance Marathon is a great cause," Barra said. "It's great to see all the support from the Saint Mary's community."