Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Junior Class Council hosts Domecoming activities

This year's annual Domecoming Week, hosted by Junior Class Council (JCC) will be "fun for a cause," junior class president Kevin Doherty said.

Monday's Domecoming kickball game, Kick for Kans, launched a weeklong food drive sponsored by the junior class. Students who donated a non-perishable food item could play the game on North Quad.

"We thought that giving back to the community would be a good way to give Domecoming a new dimension of ‘fun for a cause' that would attract more interest from the student body and the local community," Doherty said. "We will have collection boxes available at all of the events this week."

Doherty said the week offers a chance to bring the junior class and other members of the student body together.

"Its purpose is to unite students in a week of fun events and activities on campus," Doherty said. "Our hope is that Domecoming will continue to grow and involve more student groups, and be carried on as a tradition for years to come."

The junior class will also sell Class of 2013 "bro tanks" throughout the week. Doherty said an initial order of the tanks sold out almost immediately.

"We sold out within a few hours during our first sale in the dining halls," Doherty said. "We ordered a little over 200 new tanks and are hoping these will sell out over the course of the week."

JCC representative Kelsey Eckenrode said Domecoming is Notre Dame's version of homecoming at other schools.

"We wanted to give the students something similar," Eckenrode said. "We were surprised that a big football school like Notre Dame didn't already have homecoming."

The junior class will also host song-led adoration service at 9 p.m. Tuesday in the Ryan Hall Chapel.

"The song-led adoration should be a really awesome event for people to relax, reflect and listen to some great music," Eckenrode said. "The JCC is really excited for all of the events this week."

Juniors can skate for free on the JACC ice rink Wednesday from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m., and Doherty said students could still register for a Thursday dodge ball tournament online or at the event.

"The winning teams will be awarded Chipotle gift cards and bragging rights," Doherty said.

The second annual Domecoming Dance on Friday will end the week with music and dancing under a tent on South Quad, as well as free food from Chick-fil-A, Eckenrode said.

"We're happy that the dance is outdoors this year since the weather is supposed to be great on Friday," Eckenrode said.

The junior class will host all the Domecoming events this week, Doherty said, but the activities are open to all students.

"While the focus is on the junior class, we welcome all students to our events this week," he said. "The only exception is the Domecoming Dance, which SAO classifies as a junior class dance, but non-juniors are welcome to attend as long as they accompany a junior. Our goal is to involve as many students on campus as possible in Domecoming Week."

Further information about Domecoming events can be found on the Domecoming 2011 Facebook page.