Men’s Interhall Football: Keenan stays perfect with win over Stanford

Brendan Bell, Andrew Cordoza, Stephanie Banta, Mike Monaco and Nick Boyle | Monday, October 31, 2011

Sports writer

In the final game of the regular season, Keenan beat Stanford 19-7 in the Battle for the Chapel. The Knights (4-0) continued their undefeated season by beating the rival Griffins (2-2).

“We told ourselves coming into this game that it would be the most physical game that we will play all year,” Keenan junior quarterback Andrew McDonough said. “It’s a rivalry game and they were playing for their season.”

Keenan was led by McDonough, who totaled two touchdowns, 100 yards passing and 50 yards rushing. In the first quarter,

McDonough connected with junior receiver Nate Carr on a fade route for a touchdown. In the next series, senior linebacker Nick Burley stripped the ball for a fumble and ran it in for a defensive touchdown.

“Our entire defensive line played unbelievable,” McDonough said. “Our two defensive ends, [juniors] Tyler Gregory and Kevin Walsh, had great games.”

For Stanford, the result left the Griffins unsure immediately after the game if they had earned a playoff berth.

“It comes down to points allowed,” junior captain Eric Zeltwanger said. “If we make it, I think there were a lot of good signs from today’s game.”

The Griffins gained an early lead in the first quarter with a touchdown pass from freshman quarterback Charlie Fiessinger, but couldn’t hold on.

“Our defense played pretty well and we’re getting tougher,” Zeltwanger said. “Our offense is getting better every game.”

After all games were completed, Stanford found out they made the playoffs at the No. 8 seed, the last team in the playoff field.

Keenan will prepare for its first round playoff matchup against Alumni next Sunday, while Stanford is set to face No. 1 seed Siegfried.

Contact Brendan Bell at

Siegfried 6, Duncan 3

Sports Writer

The game between Siegfried and Duncan was one of strong defensive performances as each team combined for a total of 194 yards from scrimmage. Both teams held each other scoreless until the fourth quarter, when Siegfried ultimately prevailed 6-3.

Duncan (1-3) capitalized on a fumble that eventually led to a 24-yard field goal and put the Highlanders ahead with 10 minutes left in the game. Siegfried (4-0) marched right down the field with less than two minutes left and scored the game-winning touchdown on a 3-yard run by junior running back David Whitmore. Whitmore rushed for a total of 64 yards, including 33 yards on the last drive with the winning touchdown.

Whitmore and the Ramblers knew they escaped a close one.

“We played too relaxed in the beginning of the game,” Whitmore said. “They had more heart and soul. Yet, the sense of urgency on the last drive gave us just what we needed to win.”

The offensive line was key for the Ramblers. Their core, which consists of four sophomores and one junior, knew they had to play well down the stretch to keep the Ramblers’ season in perfection.

“We wanted to win and the young guys just stepped up for us today,” junior offensive lineman Antonio Renteria said.

Meanwhile, the Highlanders’ season came to an end with the loss, in which the offense only brought in 34 total yards. But junior coach Lex Dennis took a lot away from this game and the whole season.

“We have a very young team consisting of only four seniors,” Dennis said. “We are hopeful for next year with more veteran guys and I am pleased with our season.”

The Highlanders’ season is concluded, while the Ramblers will look to a first round matchup next week in the playoffs as the No. 1 seed, when they face Stanford.

Contact Andrew Cardoza at

Sorin 26, St. Edward’s 0

Sports Writer

Sorin proved too great of a force for St. Edward’s on Sunday afternoon and defeated the Gentlemen 26-0.

“This was the first game where we were able to play strongly through all four quarters,” Sorin junior Ryan Robinson said. “[St. Edward’s] tried to knock us out of this game, but we held it together well.”

The Otters (3-0-1) powered through the game with 169 rushing yards and also had an interception and 55-yard touchdown by senior Brett Leahy. Leahy was not the only powerhouse of the game though. Freshman cornerback Nick MacDonald helped hold

St. Edward’s (2-2) multiple times throughout the game. Sorin also found support in sophomore defensive end Tyler Nutter.

Though the Otters were in a joking mood after the game, they are already focusing on the upcoming playoffs.

“This is a perfect way for us to start our playoff run,” Robinson said. “We are striving for a back-to-back championship and this is the way to start it.”

The Gentlemen’s spirits were nothing short of energetic as well, even with the loss.

“We’re feeling good,” St. Edward’s senior Juan Mejia said. “I really feel we whipped them.”

St. Edward’s held a strong defensive line, making several hard hits in the second half, preventing many touchdown opportunities and causing great excitement along the sidelines of the Gentlemen.

The loss knocked St. Edward’s out of the playoffs, while Sorin prepares for a first round matchup with Carroll on Sunday.

Contact Stephanie Banta at

Knott 13, Morrissey 0

Sports Writer

In a necessary win to ensure a spot in the playoffs, Knott withstood Morrissey’s best efforts and came away with a vital 13-0 victory that clinched a postseason berth.

After almost two quarters of scoreless football, Knott (3-1) got the ball in the red zone after junior defensive back Lewis DeLosa returned an interception for 39 yards. From there, senior running back Ryan Traudt took a counter and scampered 16 yards into the end zone for a touchdown.

Traudt found the end zone again late in the fourth quarter on a 14-yard run. In all, the Juggerknotts featured a balanced running game with two quarterbacks and two running backs and rushed for 142 yards.

“Fortunately, we have an enormous offensive line,” Traudt said. “I feel that we should have put a lot more points on the board because our offensive line was blowing up [holes], which made our jobs easier.”

Looking toward the playoffs, the Juggerknotts see no need to change their style of play.

“We’ll stick with our game plan,” senior captain Dan Shaffer said. “We’ll just stay with what we’ve been doing.”

For Morrissey (0-4), the season finale was a chance to spoil Knott’s postseason aspirations. The Manor, despite being undermanned, kept the game close thanks to an opportunistic defense that forced and recovered three fumbles.

“We were in the game,” junior captain Alex Oloriz said. “We just got [exhausted] at the end.”

Although it didn’t win a game this season, Morrissey is optimistic about the future, as it will return many of its players.

“We have a young squad, so we will have a lot of experience next year,” Oloriz said. “One player we will miss is our [senior] kicker Rory Carroll.”

Morrissey’s season is over, while Knott advances to the first round of the playoffs against Dillon next Sunday.

Contact Mike Monaco at

O’Neill 12, Keough 6

Sports Writer

O’Neill dominated both sides of the ball Sunday as the Mob pulled out a 12-6 victory over West Quad rival Keough.

The Mob (1-3) was led by a defense which forced two turnovers and had multiple fourth down stops, while the offense was able to move the ball consistently behind the strong play of senior quarterback Mike Wilbur, who threw for 161 yards and two touchdowns.

“All season we’ve known that we have a lot of talent at wide receiver, and they were able to make some great plays on the ball today and really help me out,” Wilbur said.

Contact Nick Boyle at nboyle@nd.edu

Fisher 8, Zahm 0

Observer Staff Report

Fisher was awarded the 8-0 win due to forfeit, as Zahm did not have enough players show up to participate. In accordance with the RecSports rules, the winning team in a forfeit receives eight points and the losing team receives zero. The Green Wave’s record rose to 2-2 and Zahm’s fell to 0-4. Neither team qualified for the playoffs.