Men's Interhall: Ramblers hand Dawgs their first loss of season

Siegfried not only became the first team to score on Alumni this season but also became the first to defeat the Dawgs with a 13-3 win Sunday.

Siegfried senior receiver Will Gesicki caught a touchdown pass on the Ramblers' first drive and junior running back David Whitmore added another touchdown on a sweep play at the end of the first half.

Whitmore admitted he knew of Alumni's shutout streak and gave his offensive line credit for the running game's success.

"We had some trouble getting a push from our line last week," Whitmore said. "We have some pretty good backs, we just needed a little space at the line and we got that this week."

Alumni (2-1) tried to establish a running game of its own, but the Ramblers' defensive line stood tall throughout the contest. Senior defensive lineman Mike Dineen said he liked what he saw from the defense, but thinks there is still room for improvement.

"We did pretty well [Sunday]," Dineen said. "We just have to keep improving. We have to clean up some mistakes. They had a couple good runs on us but overall we caused some turnovers and got some good pressure from our defensive line."

Alumni senior running back and captain Dan Dansdill put the blame for the loss on the inability of the offense to help the defense.

"It's on the offense," Dansdill said. "The offense was bad and it made the defense tired."

Alumni will try to reestablish its dominant defense Sunday against Knott, while Siegfried will look to stay undefeated Sunday against Morrissey.

St. Edward's 9, Fisher 8

St. Edward's triumphed over Fisher in a thrilling 9-8 battle that came down to the last play.

The Gentlemen (1-1) first drew blood in the showdown with a 47-yard field goal. Then, with six minutes left in the game, junior receiver Connor Ryan came up with a clutch 11-yard touchdown catch from sophomore quarterback Paul Martin Rodriguez to secure the lead at 9-8.

"Our passing really came together towards the end, and our defense ran hard," senior defensive lineman Neil Mathieson said.

Mathieson had two pass breakups, a sack and a forced fumble for the Gentlemen.

The defense as a whole stood firm in the face of Fisher's attack with two interceptions that iced the win for St. Edward's.

"We can't lose right now," Mathieson said.

Fisher (1-2) came away disappointed, despite a solid defensive effort that included three sacks.

Dropped interceptions haunted the Green Wave, and a failure to establish a consistent passing attack kept the offense one-dimensional.

"We just need to get going in the first half," junior captain Matt Hart said.

Fisher sophomore quarterback Joe Paggi marched the offense down the field in the third quarter, scoring on a three-yard sneak and converting the two-point conversion with another run. But mistakes and turnovers limited Fisher, and despite recovering a fumble in the fourth quarter, the offense could not generate any significant drives late in the game.

"If we bring more offensive intensity, then we're tough to beat," Hart said.

St. Edward's will try to extend its winning streak against Zahm on Sunday, while Fisher looks to improve in practice during a bye week.

Carroll 9, Zahm 0

Carroll dominated Zahm in a 9-0 shutout win Sunday, prolonging the Zahmbies' search for their first win.

"I had the time of my life out there today," Zahm senior Luke Lennon said. "I don't think we lost. I think the only people that lose are the people who actually care about interhall football. I'm just excited to finally go to the Old Country Buffet."

Zahm (0-2) had a chance to take the lead after intercepting a pass at the Carroll 20-yard line. But the Zahmbies could not muster up enough offensive production to capitalize on the potentially game-changing opportunity and failed to convert on third-and-inches. The Vermin (2-1) then took over on downs and scored on a 15-yard pass to sophomore receiver Bobby Dorman.

"It was good to come back out with a win and hopefully the same will happen next weekend against Sorin," junior captain Keith Marrero said. "I'm proud of the way we came out today. We came ready to play and we got it done."

Zahm, meanwhile, is hoping for a different outcome next weekend.

"We had a great time out there today, but there isn't much you can do with everyone playing both ways," senior center Ryan Costello said. "We don't have many options right now. We only have two more games left, so if we can just work on the positive things we did today, I think we might be able to turn it around a little bit."

Zahm will play St. Edward's on Sunday, while Carroll faces Sorin in hopes of continuing its winning streak.

Dillon 17, Stanford 0

Dillon sophomore quarterback Kevin Fink threw for 109 yards with a touchdown and ran for another 36 yards in a 17-0 win over Stanford.

"Our offensive line played amazing," Fink said. "They determine how well our offense plays. Without them, we could have not played as well as we did."

From the first snap, the Big Red (2-1) dominated, opening the game with a quick 47-yard pass to junior receiver Will Salvi that led to a 36-yard field goal.

"We controlled the ball with two quick turnovers which set the tone for our offense," Salvi said. "Our biggest improvement by far was the fact that we made no mental mistakes and we took care of the football."

Meanwhile the Griffins defensemen played well, giving up 195 yards of total offense but still keeping their team in the game. Their offense, however, never really gained momentum after committing too many penalties and turning over the ball twice.

One of the bright spots for the Griffins, though, was an outstanding one-handed grab by sophomore receiver Jack Bernard.

Stanford junior captain Eric Zeltwanger said the Griffins (1-1) will take a lot from this game.

"We had no energy, spirit and we played dead football," Zeltwanger said.

The Griffins will look to revive their playoff hopes next week when they play Keough, and the Big Red will play O'Neill on Sunday.

Duncan 7, Morrissey 0

After running the ball well the whole game, Duncan finally reached the end zone in the third quarter when sophomore running back Noah Rangel scored on a five-yard touchdown run to shut out Morrissey 7-0.

The Highlanders (1-2) came out on top with their combination of smash-mouth football and a strong defensive effort. The Highlanders combined for 214 yards rushing, with 130 coming from Rangel and sophomore quarterback Josh Whelan.

"Our offensive line played with a lot of intensity today and our fullback had a couple of great blocks that opened some holes and got me some yards," Rangel said.

Rangel's winning touchdown was set up by Whelan's 20-yard pass to the Morrissey 5-yard line on fourth down after Whelan fumbled the field goal snap.

In addition to an effective rushing attack, the Highlanders' defense also played well, Whelan said.

"Our defense was great as always," Whelan said. "It's really been a strong point of this team."

Duncan had two interceptions on the day, including one with 1:25 left in the game. Morrissey threatened to score, but the sophomore quarterback Patrick Dugan threw an interception at the goal line and ended the Manor's chance to tie the game.

Morrissey struggled to generate offense in the game, only gaining three first downs. The Manor also lost the time of possession battle, as they did not once have the ball on offense in the third quarter.

"We played hard," junior safety Alex Oloriz said. "We played for four quarters and always will."

Next week the Manor will try to get their season back on track against Siegfried while Duncan has the week off.

Keenan 35, O'Neill 14

Keenan took care of O'Neill 35-14, despite an O'Neill comeback attempt that left the game tied at 14 in the second half.

"We shot ourselves in the foot the first half," O'Neill senior captain Guy Schwartz said. "We did a lot better in the second half. It was tied at 14-14 and that was obviously not because Keenan was letting up. Our offense fixed a lot of the problems they were having in the first half."

Sophomore Jonathan Savakus maneuvered his way through the Knights' defense, helping push the Mob offense during the second half. But there was not much the Mob (0-2) could do to prevent the Knights' reign.

"Today feels really good. Those guys beat us last year and there was no mistake that this was our payback," junior captain Andrew McDonough said. "It got a little chippy out there towards the end, but we are really happy with the way we played."

Led by senior Allan Jones who recorded two catches and a touchdown on the day, the Knights' offense was nearly unstoppable.

"Big shout out to the offensive line," McDonough said. "Behind the line of scrimmage I got touched once. I was able to throw all day. When our guys do their jobs, that allows our offense to really click how it did today."

Keenan has a bye next week, while O'Neill plays Stanford on Sunday.