SMC club celebrates Dia de los Muertos

Decorated skulls will rest on an altar in Saint Mary's Student Center Atrium this week to commemorate Dia de los Muertos, or Day of the Dead, and honor loved ones who have passed away.

La Fuerza, a group that celebrates Latino culture, hosted an event to decorate the skulls Monday evening in the Student Center.

Senior Areli Bautista, a member of La Fuerza, said people sometimes misunderstand the holiday's purpose.

"In Mexico and other parts of the world, the Day of the Dead is a day to remember loved ones and bring cultures together," Bautista said. "This is a day of celebration, not mourning."

Students decorated the skulls with bright colors like blue and green for the display.

"By creating and decorating things like skulls with vibrant colors, rather than black, dark colors, it reminds us that the Day of the Dead is a celebration of loved ones," Bautista said.

The celebration takes place every year on Nov. 1 and 2 during the Catholic holidays of All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day.

The skulls will remain on the altar in the Atrium until Friday. Bautista said Mass will be celebrated at 9 p.m. Wednesday in the Le Mans Holy Spirit Chapel.

"The prayer services are for remembering loved ones that have passed and celebrating the lives they had," she said. "That is the true meaning of Dia de los Muertos."