South Bend children trick-or-treat at Saint Mary’s College

Madeline Miles | Monday, October 31, 2011

Witches, goblins, vampires and princesses ran through the dorms at Saint Mary’s on Sunday night as faculty and members of the local community brought their children to trick-or-treat at the College.

The Resident Hall Association (RHA) sponsored the event through the dorms. Junior Gina Althoff, a resident advisor and RHA all-school formal chair, greeted the trick-or-treaters at the front desk in Regina Hall on Sunday night.

“We extended a special invite to the Saint Mary’s trick-or-treating to our service partner, South Bend’s Center for the Homeless,” Althoff said. “We saw a large turnout from the Center and were excited to be able to provide a safe and fun event for those children. It was also a unique opportunity to see professors and other staff members with their families.”

Biology professor Ryan Dombkowski and his wife brought their 2-year-old son Reece to trick-or-treat around the College campus.

“It’s nice to not have to worry about weather, cars, crossing the street and other safety issues,” Dombkowski. “It’s great to see all the students get involved.”

Welcome Center receptionist Ann Sheldon brought her daughter, Lauren Sheldon Ogren ’07, and grandson to LeMans Hall for candy.

“My daughter is Saint Mary’s graduate,” Sheldon said. “She always gave out candy to the trick-or-treaters as a student, but now it’s her first time bringing her son around. It’s part of continuing the tradition.”

Eight-year-old Zach Toul sported fangs and a cape for his vampire costume.

“Vampires are so cool and scary,” Toul said. “I came to Saint Mary’s last year and got lots of candy, so that’s why I wanted to come this year. Oh, and my grandma works here.”

Students said they enjoyed trick-or-treating just as much as the children. Junior Caroline Keep opened her door and dressed as a peanut M&M for trick-or-treat night.

“When I was little, I went trick-or-treating at the college my mom worked at,” Keep said. “I knew I wanted to give out candy to the kids.”

Junior Liz Kraig enjoyed decorating her room in celebration of Halloween.

“I love giving out candy and seeing the kids’ costumes,” Kraig said. “It’s just a really fun event for all of us.”