Women's Interhall: Wildcats dominate Welsh Family, 38-8

Ryan continued its dominance this weekend with a 38-8 victory over Welsh Family.

Ryan (3-0) fell behind early in the game 8-0, but immediately responded with a touchdown and never looked back. Senior captain and running back Brianna Curtis led the Wildcats with 100 rushing yards and two touchdowns along with 20 receiving yards.

"This week basically was just putting what we've done in practice into play," Curtis said.

Junior quarterback Maya Pillai also threw for three touchdown passes in the game. With the score at 14-8, the Wildcats ran a hook and lateral to Curtis down the sideline for a 65-yard touchdown.

"It's a play we like and it's difficult to pull off, but when we do it's a lot of fun," Curtis said. "It worked out really well for us today."

Welsh Family (2-2) started out strong with a touchdown pass from junior quarterback Vicky Moreno to senior receiver Natalie Baldasare. After the Whirlwind's quick start, though, they struggled against the Wildcat defense.

"We made a couple of errors and didn't make adjustments well," senior receiver and captain Charlotte Seasly said. "Next week we will look to tighten things up a little bit offensively."

Ryan looked to keep its undefeated season alive last night against Pasquerilla East, while Welsh Family hopes to bounce back against Walsh next Sunday.

Lewis 8, Pasquerilla East 6

Following a scoreless first half, both Pasquerilla East and Lewis were ready to prove themselves in the second, but it was the Chicks who edged ahead with an 8-6 victory.

Lewis junior quarterback Connaught Blood found sophomore receiver Colleen Haller for the decisive touchdown.

"Getting an offensive touchdown was a highlight for us this game," senior captain Margot DeBot said.

By winning, the Chicks (2-1) kept their playoff hopes alive.

"With our first loss, we needed to win most if not all of the rest of our games," DeBot said. "This game and winning two games in a row definitely gives us momentum. We're really getting into a groove."

Pasquerilla East (0-3-1) is still looking for its first win. The Pyros took the lead in the contest when freshman receiver Amanda LaPorte caught a pass and ran for a 20-yard touchdown.

"Overall, it was a tough loss," LaPorte said. "We gave it our hardest effort, and we've really improved a lot."

The Pyros' defense, with great pass coverage from junior safety Anna Perino, held the Chicks scoreless until the second half.

"The defense had some pretty big plays," LaPorte said. "They did really well in the first half and worked really hard."

The Pyros hoped to notch their first victory against Ryan last night and the Chicks look to continue their momentum against Lyons on Monday.

Lyons 13, Walsh 12

In a game that was decided in the final seconds, Lyons gained a victory beating Walsh 13-12 Sunday night.

"We are thrilled," senior quarterback Kat Rodriguez said. "It was an exhilarating win."

Rodriguez, who threw for 153 yards, led the Lyonites (2-2) through the aggressive Wild Woman defense.

"Our offense played well today, especially under the pressure of Walsh's defense," Rodriguez said. "We were able to hold ourselves together and play composed."

The Lyonites found keeping their composure even harder after two penalties cost them 75 yards and a touchdown in the second half.

"We were a bit dejected after the penalties but we knew there was nothing we could do about it except play even harder," Rodriguez said. " Overall it was a great game with a lot of controversial calls. That we were able to hold it together till the end shows the strength of Lyons Hall football and how far we have come since last year."

Working to improve each week, Walsh (0-3-1) grappled with setbacks as well.

"They ran a different offense than we expected which threw us off a bit but defense adjusted well," junior captain Lindy Navarre said. "We played well and we played hard and I guess that's all we can ask for. No one likes to lose but we're improving each game."

With 96 rushing yards and two forced punts, Walsh has found improvements since its last game especially with young talent like freshman Maggie Fisher, who scored one of Walsh's two touchdowns.

"We just need to regroup and refocus for this coming week," Navarre said. "I am confident in the talent of this team and their dedication to the game."

Lyons looked to continue its winning ways against Lewis last night, while Walsh hopes to regain its composure against Welsh Family on Sunday.

Cavanaugh 20, Breen-Phillips 0

The Cavanaugh offense made it a point to score early and often Sunday night, amassing three touchdowns in the first half to give the Chaos a 20-0 win over Breen-Phillips.

After being held to a three-and-out on its first drive, Cavanaugh (3-0) scored on its next three possessions. The Chaos put their first points on the board when senior quarterback Rebecca Cink connected with senior receiver Brittni Alexander on a 19-yard touchdown pass. Alexander would then find the end zone again on the next possession, running the ball in from the 1-yard line to give the Chaos a 13-0 lead.

"I simply ran my routes the way they were designed and turned on the afterburners to outrun their defenders," Alexander said. "Rebecca can really throw the deep ball, and she executed well today."

Cink showed her effective passing skills on several long completions, including a 41-yard touchdown pass to senior receiver Bridget Bredemann with mere seconds left in the first half.

Breen-Phillips (0-4) was able to gain yardage on offense, amassing eight first downs and utilizing several strong runs from sophomore quarterback Molly Toner.

However, the Babes were kept from reaching the end zone by Cavanaugh's defense, a unit that has not allowed a single point this season.

"We moved the ball better today than we have done the entire year," Toner said. "Unfortunately, we couldn't put together enough good plays in a row to score touchdowns."

Breen-Phillips looks to notch its first win of the season when it plays Pasquerilla West next Sunday, while Cavanaugh looks to keep its perfect record intact when it plays Pangborn tonight.

Farley 6, Pangborn 0

On its way to its third shutout of the season, an undefeated Farley squad defeated Pangborn 6-0.

Farley (3-0) relied on its lockdown defense and some timely offense to get the victory. Senior defensive end Elise Jordan and senior defensive back Claire Kueny both greatly contributed to the defensive effort, as Jordan had four key stops in the backfield and Kueny had one of the Finest's two interceptions.

"It was a hard fought defensive battle," Jordan said. "I'm really proud of the defense."

The Finest's lone score came in the first half when senior quarterback Megan Bastedo threw a 1-yard touchdown pass. Farley's offense had difficulties in the second half as they failed to gain a first down, but the first-half score was enough for the Finest's defense.

Pangborn (1-2) stayed with the Finest all game and threatened to score at the very end but ran out of time on the clock. The Phoxes were frustrated by the Finest's defense in the first half, running only five plays. Though they felt short of scoring, the Phoxes made some improvements in the second half, amassing 100 yards of offense.

"It was a good game," senior captain Liz Pawlak. "But it was frustrating we couldn't score."

Since the defense was able to stop Farley's offense for the majority of the game, Pawlak says Pangborn hopes it can work on its offensive production.

"Hopefully we can get our offense down the field a little bit better," Pawlak said.

Farley looks to stay unbeaten tonight against Badin, while Pangborn also plays tonight, hoping to get back to .500 with a win against Cavanaugh.

Pasquerilla West 20, Badin 6

Pasquerilla West put together a dominant all-around effort in a 20-6 win over Badin.

Coming off a thrilling come-from-behind win last week against Pangborn, the Purple Weasels (2-1) picked up right where they left off, scoring on their first two drives of the game. Pasquerilla West is surging, and has its sights set on a third straight championship game appearance.

"We're feeling really confident right now," senior head coach Jim Moore said. "We're looking to get back to [Notre Dame Stadium]. We lost in the championship game the last two years and we don't think it's a successful season unless we win the championship."

The Purple Weasels had to install a new offense after losing freshman quarterback Lauren Vidal to the varsity crew team. Junior Kirsten Danna took over at quarterback and the offense didn't miss a beat. Pasquerilla West scored three times, twice on trick plays.

"We scored on some trick plays that they love running," Moore said. "We had the lineman screen and the option pass, which worked like a charm."

Badin (1-2), which only had one first down in the first half, struggled to find continuity on offense. The Bullfrogs, however, know they ran into a powerhouse in Pasquerilla West.

"We put up a good fight against a good [Pasquerilla West] team," senior captain Melissa Guinan said. "We're seeing a lot of improvement and we're excited for our next game against Farley."

Some of that improvement was seen in the offense in the second half. With junior Ashley Okonta in at quarterback, the Bullfrogs moved the ball with more success. Okonta accumulated 78 total yards, 10 of which came on a touchdown run.

Badin looks to get back on track tonight against Farley, while Pasquerilla West hopes to keep rolling next Sunday versus Breen-Phillips.