A call for the students

Dear Notre Dame Student Body,

I know it's not even Thanksgiving yet, but I am writing this letter to implore you to join the Leprechaun Legion and support the Notre Dame Men's Basketball Team this season. You probably did not notice, but this team ground out a tough and gritty win over the likely Horizon League champions, the Detroit Titans, on Monday night with its best player in a shirt and tie serving a (stupid and unjustified) NCAA suspension.

I realize the game was at 9 p.m. on a Monday night and I can understand why some of the older fans in town couldn't show up to that, but it seemed as if the band outnumbered the rest of the members in the student section. It was not the scene I had hoped to see from my alma mater.

This is the last year of Big East basketball as we know it, and this team is young, athletic and tough. They're not the polished squads featuring the likes of Chris Quinn or Luke Harangody, and for that very reason the team needs you out there night-in and night-out to continue to help defend our home court which has been one of the toughest venues to play in the country over the last five years.

This squad will play with a ton of heart and emotion, scratch and claw in every possession, and I promise you'll be proud of the way they play.

Sure, Sam Houston State and Delaware State — the team's opponents this Wednesday and Friday — aren't quite the buzz-drawing opponents you could hope for, but it's an opportunity for you all to witness this team grow and root them on to victory. I know you guys have two hours you can give to this team — just put MW3 away for a night or two.

Go Irish!

Simon Chun

alumnus

Class of 2010

Adam Steinbach

alumnus

Class of 2010

Nov. 15