Monday, May 13, 2024

Awareness benefits all

The campus wide e-mail once a week covering the latest sexual assault on campus has, unfortunately, become a little too familiar to us here at Notre Dame. On campus, while we know we are safe, there is always that statistical probability for which we can never be fully prepared. Although we can do our part to remain safe and use various strategies to caution against an undesirable incident, we definitely must never underestimate the traumatic experiences of those unfortunate enough to have lived through such a tragedy.

This week, not only are we remembering and sympathizing with victims of sexual assault on campus, but we are also consciously making an extra effort towards preventing future assaults and understanding why this issue is so important. The Gender Relations Center, the Office of Alcohol and Drug Education, Campus Ministry and a host of other organizations on campus have come together to promote a week filled with fun activities, educational learning experiences and forums to have your voices heard. So go on out there and be a part of the Notre Dame spirit. Provide a sense of community to those who need it most and let one another know that support is never far away.

Do not fret over what has happened in the past, but use those lessons as important guiding stones in a quest for what is hopefully a positive and beneficial outcome for society as a whole. Share your knowledge and do not be afraid to ask hitherto unasked questions in your search for truth and justice.

Nikitha Taniparti

sophomore

Badin Hall

Oct. 31