Badin Art Show

Lemons, maids and the sights of Venice are just a few of the artistic subjects brightening up the Badin social space this November.

Badin opened their annual art show on Nov. 3 with 45 pieces of artwork from 30 students across Notre Dame's campus.  The dorm announced the contest's winners opening night.

First prize was awarded to junior Michelle Lundholm's work "Lemons," a colored pencil submission.

Second place was given to both law student Bridget Nugent's watercolor "Venetian Sunrise" and junior Daniel SunohChoe's black and white charcoal piece, "Imitation of Judith and Her Maid Servant with the Head of Holofernes."  Senior Laura McGinn received third place for "Beta Test," an oil painting on canvas.

"We were extremely excited with both the number of students who submitted artwork and the number of students who came to see the show," said sophomore Lauren Richards, one of Badin's academic commissioners in charge of the art show.

Badin has held their signature event for at least 10 years, Richards said. This year's show included submissions from students of all majors and years.  Artwork included oil paintings on canvas, watercolors, charcoal drawings and photographs.

Over 100 students toured Badin's large social space on opening night, Richards said. Refreshments offered at this artistic event included bruschetta, cream puffs, mini quiches, fruit and vegetables and sparkling grape juice and cider.  

Richards' fellow academic commissioners, sophomores Michelle Paek and SharleneGuiriba as well as Breanna Houghton, a Badin assistant rector, spent over a month planning the food, posters, prizes and setting up the artwork.

Winners for the show received gift cards to the bookstore.  Three professors in the Art and Design department judged the submissions.

The submissions will remain on display in the Badin large social space until Friday.

Contact Claire Stephens at cstephe4@nd.edu