Photography issues noted

In response to "Lauren Studios under fire" (Nov. 1), as not only the Editor-in-Chief of the Notre Dame Yearbook, but a fellow senior, I understand the concerns voiced in Matt Jensen's letter, and I hope that I may have the opportunity to make a few clarifications and clear up any issues that have arisen.

While it may seem unfair to charge a sitting fee, it is common practice to do so, especially when there is no charge for the yearbook itself. One would be hard-pressed to find a studio that does not charge a sitting fee for this type of portrait, let alone one that charges the reasonable rates set by Lauren Studios. The sitting fee also includes retouching of the yearbook pose. While I also agree that the prices of the photos are rather high, they are on par with the prices set by other studios. Unfortunately, this cost is in the nature of professional photography studios.

I myself waited nearly an hour past my scheduled appointment time and then felt very rushed during my session for fear of being late to class. Apparently more students than anticipated elected to make wardrobe changes during the longer sittings, putting the photographers behind schedule. This scheduling issue, as well as the other issues raised, will be addressed directly with the president of Lauren Studios when I meet with him later in the month, and he has already promised to address the problems. We regret that students were inconvenienced.

Concerning proofs. No student will be charged for unreturned proofs. It has been brought to my attention that the section of the brochure stating the fee was meant to be eliminated, but this correction was not made.

Notre Dame has had a relationship with Lauren Studios for 35 years, and it is my understanding that the administration of the company has a history of accommodating to the needs of Notre Dame students, and I expect that this will continue. I openly invite any student who has further concerns to contact me directly at dome@nd.edu.

Caitlin Kinser

senior

off-campus

Nov. 3