-

-

Saint Mary’s sponsors Holy Cross Harvest

Madeline Miles | Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Saint Mary’s College kicked off the second annual Holy Cross Harvest, a large-scale donation drive to benefit the Northern Indiana Food Bank, on Monday.

Carrie Call, director of the Office for Civic and Social Engagement (OCSE), said she would like to see a majority of the Saint Mary’s community participate in the event.

“The Harvest shows us how a small amount of money can make a big difference,” Call said. “Plus it is important to remember that hunger is very real in our area and many families are struggling. It is our responsibility to act.”

The Holy Cross Harvest started last year in response to the declining economy, as many families struggled to put food on the tables, Call said.

Saint Mary’s has also joined with Notre Dame and Holy Cross College to combat hunger in the community.

“The three schools can work together to make an impact in the community,” Call said.

Call said she is asking for students to donate $1, which can help provide up to eight meals.

Last year, the Harvest brought in more than $800. Call said she hopes to surpass that amount this year.

“If every person on this campus gave just $1, we could provide hundreds of meals to families in need,” Call said. “I’d like to beat that this year by at least $100.”

Junior Kelly Roepke, student director of OCSE, acknowledged the importance of the Holy Cross Harvest.

“Students don’t realize how much a dollar can do,” Roepke said. “It really does make a significant difference.”

The Harvest will run through Nov. 17.