SMC Basketball: Belles look to snap losing streak

Saint Mary's looks to get back on track with a victory against Anderson tonight. After winning its season opener against No. 25 Wheaton, the Belles fell in both games of the Manchester College Bankers' Classic over the weekend.

In the consolation game of the tournament, Saint Mary's (1-2) faced Denison, another ranked opponent, and managed to exchange baskets for most of the game. With the score tied midway through the second half, Denison (2-1) pulled away late and defeated St. Mary's 81-74.

"Right now, our team needs to develop consistency on defense," Belles coach Jennifer Henley said.

Another key factor in the game was Denison's dominating bench, which outscored the Belles' bench 48-4. Despite the tough losses Friday and Saturday, senior forward Jessica Centa's play was a bright spot, as she was named to the all-tournament team. Centa turned in two double-digit scoring performances and averaged 15 points per game during the tournament.

Hoping to build off the positive contributions from the Belles' loss to Denison, the team remains focused in practice as it prepares for an important test against Anderson (0-2).

"I think Anderson is going to be another great match-up for us," Henley said. "Our goal is to get out and set the tone early with them defensively."

The Belles have been adjusting to the recent losses by recognizing what they need to do to win.

"Our main focus has been the transition game, as well as boxing out for the rebounds," Henley said. "When we do these two things well, we are successful."

Saint Mary's will host Anderson on Tuesday at 7:30 pm.

Contact Brendan Bell at bbell2@nd.edu