-

-

SMC Swimming and Diving: Seniors lead charge in sixth-place finish

Vicky Jacobsen | Sunday, November 20, 2011

Though Saint Mary’s came up short at this weekend’s two-day Patrick Woehnker Invitational at Wabash College, Belles upperclassmen won points for the team with strong individual performances and the team placed sixth out of seven.

DePauw led the seven women’s contest with 634 points, far ahead of Saint Mary’s 168.

The top 16 finishers in every event earned points for their team; the winner earned 20 points while each of the next 15 gained correspondingly fewer. The top eight teams in relay events scored points, starting with 40 points for a first place victory.

Although the Belles (1-3, 0-3 MIAA) trailed every squad except Rose-Hulman (1-1) in the points race, Belles coach Mark Benishek was pleased with many of the times his swimmers turned in.

“[Senior captain ] Audrey Dalrymple had some strong swims in her events,” Benishek said. “Our distance swimmers, [junior] Liz Palmer and [senior captain] Megan Price, had a great meet. Both girls lead the team with personal best times. Overall, it was a strong showing by the Belles.”

Dalrymple delivered the swim of the weekend for the Belles and earned 17 points for a second-place finish in the 100-yard breaststroke (1:10.29). Dalrymple also took fourth place in the 200-yard breaststroke (2:33.34) in between finishing seventh in the 200-yeard IM (2:20.95) and eighth in 400-yard IM (4:55.25). Her fellow teammate and senior captain Katie Donovan also scored in the 200-yard IM (2:23.87) for a 10th place finish.

Dalrymple and Donovan teamed up with Palmer and Price for the 800-yard freestyle relay for fourth place (8:28.06).Price and Palmer both placed in the 500-yard freestyle with personal records. Price finished in 10th place (5:31.95) and Palmer brought in points for the Belles for 16th place (5:41.43). Price also picked up four points for Saint Mary’s with her swim in the 1650-yard freestyle (19:13.66), good for 13th place. She joined Donovan, junior Kristyn Gerbeth and freshman Anna Nolan for the 200-yard freestyle relay team that finished fifth.

Freshman Julianne Divine took the place of Donovan in the 200-yard medley, and the Belles finished seventh (2:02.16).

The Belles will have a quiet Thanksgiving Break before they resume competition in December.

“We will be resting the team for the Calvin Invite in two weeks,” Benishek said. “The team has been training hard for this meet, and their hard efforts will be shown at Calvin.”

The Belles return to action at the Calvin Invitational in Grand Rapids, Mich., from Dec. 1-3.

Contact Vicky Jacobsen at vjacobse@nd.edu