Undertones to release holiday CD

Adam Llorens | Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Undertones — an a cappella group of Notre Dame’s Glee Club — will spread holiday cheer with the release of their first Christmas album, “Under the Mistletones.”

Today’s concert at the Hammes Bookstore will serve as both a performance and a release concert for their new album.

“It is never too early for Christmas music,” Peter Baxter, president of the Undertones said.

The plan for their new Christmas album releasing just in time for the holiday season formed last January while the group was on tour in Colorado, Baxter said.

“We really found a great dynamic throughout our Colorado tour, and we realized that we would love to preserve our unique sound if we could manage it,” he said.

Not long after the tour, the group began working on the album.

“2011 graduate Matt Swanson, then our musical director, gathered arrangements for us and we spent the rest of the spring dividing our time between the recording studio and rehearsing Spring Concert material,” Baxter said. “Collectively, we decided a Christmas album would be great for the group to have for years to come, and that it would be a blast to create.”

Baxter said a major influence in the release of the album is the Undertones’ sound engineer, Tony Huerta.

“It has been awesome to be able to work with Tony [Huerta] throughout the entire production process,” Baxter said. “His group, ‘Urban Method,’ is featured as a finalist on NBC’s ‘The Sing Off,’ and we have really learned a lot from all of his experience.”

If fans walk away from the concert wanting to hear more from the Undertones, Baxter said the group will continue with their usual holiday traditions as the end of the semester approaches.

“We will begin caroling as part of the Glee Club in the coming weeks and the Undertones Christmas concert will be on Friday, Dec. 9,” he said. “We will also be performing songs from ‘Under the Mistletones’ when we tour through Florida in January.”

Baxter said the group is excited to share their holiday song renditions with a larger audience, and said the album will serve as lasting evidence of the group’s hard work.

“Whether it is leaving a tour stop or eventually leaving the University, our Christmas album is a neat way to continue sharing our music after we leave,” he said.