-

-

Weekend Events Calendar

Courtney Cox | Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Thursday, Dec. 1

Silent Night Silent Auction

LaFortune Ballroom

7 p.m.

Free

The Pyros of Pasquerilla East put together an impressive night of food and prizes to celebrate the Christmas season. All proceeds from the event go to the American Cancer Society. It’s the perfect opportunity to snag a gift basket for your friend or simply support a good cause. Jimmy Johns will be served and door prizes will be available. 

Friday, Dec. 2

“Crazy, Stupid, Love” 

DeBartolo 101

8 and 10:30 p.m.

$3

Ryan Gosling, Steve Carell, Julianne Moore, Emma Stone and Kevin Bacon round out this star-studded cast. After his wife leaves him, Cal Weaver (Carell) mopes around bars subjecting every woman in sight to his sob story. He is taken under the wing of Jacob Palmer (Gosling), a 20-something lothario. He re-fashions Cal into a ladies man and expectedly, hijinks ensue. 

Saturday, Dec. 3

Atlas Sound concert

Legends of Notre Dame Nightclub

Doors open at 9:30 p.m.

Free with ND/SMC/HC ID

Bradford Cox, of the band Deerhunter, comes to Notre Dame as his solo act, Atlas Sound. He released four complete albums as Atlas Sound last year alone as part of the “Bedroom Databank.” “Parallax,” released in early November, is Cox’s seventh full album and plays with many of the same themes his older albums explore, but with small bits of risk thrown in. The concert is presented by WVFI. 

Sunday, Dec. 4

Carols service

Basilica of the Sacred Heart

7:15 p.m.

Free

The Notre Dame Liturgical Choir, Women’s Liturgical Choir, Folk Choir, Handbell Choir and Basilica Schola join together to present a night of Christmas tunes, sung to warm the heart and celebrate the season of Advent. It’s the perfect way to begin December and relax before the stress of finals truly sets in. 

-

-

Weekend Events Calendar

Maija Gustin | Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Thursday

“Goodfellas”

Legends

Midnight

Free

You’ve always wanted to see this classic Scorsese gangster film, right? Legends has you covered. Make your way over to the club side of Legends at midnight to join your fellow Domers for a viewing of this strikingly realistic depiction of organized crime.

Friday

Hypnotist Tom DeLuca

Washington Hall

9 p.m.

Free

Tom DeLuca has been hypnotizing — literally — the Notre Dame campus for years. He’s back, so bring out your favorite friends to volunteer to be hypnotized. You’ll be shocked at what Tom gets them to do.

Saturday

“Cowboys and Aliens”

DeBartolo 101

8 and 11 p.m.

$3

Brought to you by the director of “Iron Man,” this hybrid Western-science fiction film features Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig as two guys in the Old West who must battle aliens to save their frontier town. 

Sunday

“Provenance”

Philbin Studio Theatre

2:30 and 7:30 p.m.

$5 for students, $10 regular admission

Notre Dame welcomes a brand-new original play to campus. Written by Notre Dame Moreau Fellow Anne Garcia-Romero, this story about the Mexican heritage of two sisters presents a unique opportunity to the Notre Dame community — to see a play in its first on-stage incarnation, shaped by Notre Dame students and faculty. “Provenance” will be presented tonight through Sunday, Nov. 20.

-

-

Weekend Events Calendar

Maija Gustin | Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Thursday

Catholicism Project

Room 105, Jordan Hall of Science

3:30 p.m.

Free

The Colleges of Engineering and Science present this unique documentary about the Catholic faith. “The Catholicism Project” is comprised of 10 episodes following Fr. Barron, the Francis Cardinal George Professor of Faith and Culture at Mundelein Seminary and founder of Word on Fire, as he travels around the world exploring the Catholic heritage as well as what Catholics today believe and why. Fr. Barron will introduce clips from all 10 episodes and discuss the New Evangelization.

Friday

Chorale Concert

Leighton Concert Hall

8 p.m.

$3 for students

After traveling to Rome last May to sing for the Pope and the Cardinals as well as holding concerts in the Basilica in Assisi and in St. Ignatius, Rome, they are back to present their Fall concert. Their repertoire is vast, featuring music from the Renaissance to now, highlighting classic choral music. The performance is one hour with no intermission.

Saturday

Waiting for Godot

Washington Hall Lab Theater

4:30 p.m.

$3 for students

This weekend, Student Players presents Samuel Beckett’s classic absurdist play about endless waiting. You may have read it in school, but head to Washington Hall’s Lab Theater this weekend to see it live. “Waiting for Godot” will also be presented Thursday and Friday at 7:30 p.m.

Sunday

Cello Recital by Karen Buranskas

Walter R. Beardsley 20th and 21st Century Gallery

2 p.m.

Free

Associate professor of music Karen Buranskas presents cello suites by Max Eger, Ernest Bloch and Benjamin Britten. She will play works by each of these 20th-century composers that draw on the work of Johann Sebastian Bach. The Snite Museum of Art will host Buranskas in its second floor gallery.

-

-

Weekend Events Calendar

Claire Stephens | Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Thursday, Nov. 3

Poetry Slam

Legends of Notre Dame

12 a.m.

Free

Roses are red, violets are blue, it’s the poetry slam, you know what to do.

Friday, Nov. 4

1st Annual Michiana Comedy Competition

Martha’s Midway Tavern

9 p.m.

$3 with ID

Twelve comics will vie for six spots in the finals on Nov. 11. Three will advance based on audience votes and three will advance based on judges’ vote. There will be a special closing set by Michiana’s own Jack Hull. See some of the best up-and-coming standup comics from all over the Midwest. Doors open at 8 p.m.

Saturday, Nov. 5

Asian Allure: Timeless

Washington Hall

4 p.m.

$7 advance, $10 at the door

Celebrate Asian culture with dance, music, comedy, fashion and history brought to you by the Asian American Association. Performing clubs include the Korean Student Association, the Vietnamese Student Association, the Chinese Cultural Society, Japan Club, Filipino American Student Organization, Indian Association of Notre Dame and Project Fresh. Come see how Asian culture is promoted at ND.

Sunday, Nov. 6

“Don Giovanni”, The Met Opera in HD

Browning Cinema

1 p.m.

$16 with ID

Mariusz Kwiecien brings his youthful and sensual interpretation of Mozart’s timeless anti-hero to the Met for the first time, under the direction of Tony Award-winning director Michael Grandage and with James Levine conducting. A troupe of refined Mozartians appears in this new production including Marina Rebeka, Barbara Frittoli, Isabel Leonard, Matthew Polenzani, Ramón Vargas and John Relyea. Gerald Finley steps into the title role later in the season and Andrew Davis also conducts.