SMC Basketball: Saint Mary's looks to snap three-game losing skid

This weekend Saint Mary's will attempt to snap a three- game losing streak when it hosts Alma on Saturday. The Belles struggled offensively in a 67-59 loss to Trine on Wednesday, shooting just 31 percent from the floor.

"We played good stretches of defense, more in the second half, against Trine last night," Belles coach Jennifer Henley said Thursday. "We had a great comeback in the second half and had better rhythm on offense, we just ran out of time."

Senior guard Patsy Mahoney and senior forward Jessica Centa lead the Belles (2-5, 0-1 MIAA). Mahoney averages 14.9 points per game and recently earned MIAA conference player of the week honors, while Centa chips in 11.9 points and 4.9 rebounds per game. Along with improving its shooting, Saint Mary's will focus on containing Alma (1-4, 1-0) defensively.

"We still need to put together longer stretches of good defense, but we are getting there," Henley said.

Alma's freshmen pair of guard Grace Wheeler and forward Morgan Henry have made an instant impact for the Scots. Henry has been the team's leading scorer for most of the season, and Wheeler averages 8.4 points and 6.2 rebounds per game.

"Alma is young, but very well coached." Henley said. "They are coming off a big win against Adrian on Wednesday night.

"We need to find a way to contain their guards and continue to improve our transition defense in order to win," Henley said.

Saint Mary's and Alma will face off at 3 p.m. Saturday at the Angela Athletic Facility.

Contact Brendan Bell at bbell2@nd.edu