Student represents Flex Watches

When Notre Dame sophomore Steve O'Hara sat down to watch MTV's, "Real World: San Diego," over fall break, he did not imaging it would lead to a new job.

But after seeing the company Flex Watches featured on the MTV show, O'Hara said he was hooked by Flex Watches' philosophy, which isbased on the belief that 21st-century businesses can be both profitable and charitable.

O'Hara said this philosophy made him decide to become a campus representative for the San Diego-based company.

"I wanted to buy a watch and eventually became a campus rep to spread awareness for the company," O'Hara said. "There are 10 watches to choose from, and each one represents a different charity. For example, 10 percent of the proceeds from a pink watch will go toward finding a cure for breast cancer."

The slogan for Flex Watches is "10 colors, 10 charities, 10 percent."

O'Hara said his campus representative position requires marketing the company's product in a variety of creative ways.

"I had to get an article in the [campus] newspaperand put up Facebook statuses," O'Hara said. "The ultimate goal would be to get Flex Watches in a local store or the [Hammes Notre Dame] Bookstore."

O'Hara, a lacrosse player at Notre Dame, considers his involvement with Flex Watches more of an extracurricular activity than a job.

"My first plan of attack was sending out an email to the entire [lacrosse] team," O'Hara said. "Networking with friends and trying to explain what Flex Watches are all about is part of my strategy."

O'Hara said his time working with Flex Watches proves that a company can still be a force of change in the world.

"A business can be both profitable and can give back to the community," he said. "It's not all about making money; it's about making an impact on the world around you."

Working for a company based in Southern California has not presented any challenges, O'Hara said.

"When you order a watch, they ask how you found out about the product," O'Hara said. "People are supposed to use my name as a reference so they know how well I am promoting and advertising the product."

Interested buyers can purchase a Flex Watch just in time for the holiday season.

"You can go to www.flexwatches.com or email me at sohara4@nd.edu if interested in buying one," he said.