Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Best Dressed at the Golden Globes

One of my favorite things about awards season is watching some of Hollywood's greatest actresses walk down the Red Carpet showing off their elegant, sophisticated and sometimes extravagant ensembles. Their fashion choices for these special occasions often influence our style and foreshadow upcoming trends. If Angelina rocked a long-sleeved sparkling emerald gown last year, why shouldn't we?

This year's Golden Globes were full of glamorous actresses with great dress and jewelry choices. Here are some of Sunday night's best dressed and the two main trends they all followed.

Color, color and more color

This year's Golden Globe fashions were all about bold and vibrant colors. All types of red and blue tones dominated on the red carpet. Those who wore dark tones looked perfect for winter, while those who chose lighter red and blue shades hinted at the approach of spring.

One of the night's best dressed was "The Help" star Emma Stone. Her flowing burgundy Lanvin gown with a plunging neckline paired with an embellished black belt looked amazing and elegant. She continues to surprise and awe her fans with her impeccable style.

Reese Witherspoon also made a great choice by wearing a red strapless heart-shaped Zac Posen dress to the awards. It was a simple yet sophisticated dress that looked great in contrast with her beach blonde waves.

Another award-winning actress that selected a variant of the daring red color was Natalie Portman with a strapless fuchsia gown by Lanvin with a folded red detail. To complete the look she wore diamond Fred Leighton jewels.

Blue was also in at the Golden Globes this year, and nominee Sofia Vergara and presenter Freida Pinto both wore it to perfection.

"The Modern Family" star showed off her curves in a teal strapless gown by Vera Wang. She accessorized this mermaid-shaped dress with Harry Winston jeweled cuffs.

Pinto went for a more conservative but also elegant look with a teal strapless gown by Prada. She paired the dress with a woven gold Chopard necklace.

Lace and sequins everywhere

Another main fashion trend seen during Sunday's Golden Globes was the use of lace and sequins. These details in gowns give an extra touch of sophistication and glamour and certainly helped some nominees and presenters stand out that night.

Jessica Biel looked natural, yet elegant, in a white long-sleeved lace dress. It was a very romantic look that she modified by wearing her dark, wavy hair down.

Glee star Dianna Agron also mastered the lace trend with a bright red halter gown. It was full of very intricate embellishments that caught everyone's eyes.

Finally, Sunday night was definitely Claire Dane's night. Not only did she win a Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Television Series, but the "Homeland" star also rocked a black and white J. Mendel gown. While the front of the dress was very simple, the cut-out back and the sequined detailing made her look like a winner.

Overall, this year's Golden Globes were filled with gorgeous Hollywood stars styling amazing gowns. What truly made some shine, though, were their daring choices of color and detail. Let's see what fashions the Oscars will bring next.

Contact Maria Fernandez at mfernan5@nd.edu